A/C help

Hey guys, back at it again working on this truck. Lol. I have an 87 4.0 that came with factory air. Currently not working, looking to get it going. After looking at a few threads I got a few ideas. Compressor doesn’t kick on or anything. Fan blows nice and fast. I took the low pressure switch out and jumped it with a paper clip. Low and behold the electric fan turned on. I didn’t really hear the compressor come on though. Can someone tell me if I am on the right track? I’m hoping compressor isn’t shot but I really don’t know. Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Well the compressor is controlled by a relay in the Renix relay center(I don’t know which one it is in the factory set up, cruiser has a pic of it). If you jump that it should engage the clutch and probably get it to spin. That being said if you do this and the system is out of refrigerant, do NOT run it for long. Hell 3 seconds to see the compressor move and hear it should be enough. 

Ohhhhhhhh. Sounds like to me the system may not have any refrigerant in it if it doesn’t kick on. That being said if you jump the low pressure switch and it doesn’t engage the clutch and move the pulley then the relay could be bad. Now are you absolutely certain this system is still charged?

Not at all. Lol. I doubt there is any coolant at all in it. Is it hard to recharge? Can I just buy the stuff in the can and give it a try? Now let me ask you this, if I did get some refrigerant in it, would the low pressure switch then allow it to kick on?

It’s not hard to recharge if you have an idea but the system requires 2.4lbs of R12(I think as the conversion asks for less R134)or 2.32lbs of R134. But the system has to be completely void of anything else. So if there is a leak, there’s probably moisture in it. If it’s just low then maybe a can in it will trigger the low pressure switch to engage and get the system running. All the low pressure switch does is prevent the system from running if there’s nothing in it. 

This is likely to be expensive. Probably just a waste of time and money to throw a can of expensive refrigerant in. 

Let the shop do it. The system will need to be evacuated, and certain components replaced, along with a conversion to R134a refrigerant.

How much money are you thinking of throwing at this? Budget? 

Where is the low pressure switch located?  I am working on an AC system as well, and have not found the low pressure switch yet..  I jumped 12vdc to the AC clutch though with it not running and the clutch is working. 

17 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

That must be nice. The two dryers I have didn’t come with one and the original one from the MJ my parts were pulled from had a broken prong. 

I grabbed a new one on Rockauto.  I think it was $15 or so.  The pressure switch was capped off like a fitting, so I didn't realize what it was until I looked at the old one.