Project: 1986 Comanche Trail Rig

Hi, guys

My Name is Lee & I live in West Virginia. I'm in the process of purchasing a Long wheel base 86 MJ. its 4wd with an automatic tranny, and a 4 banger. Its also my 1st MJ, so my knowledge is limited. My plan is to build a off-road rig only. WV has some strict highway laws so it isn't going to be road legal. I'm going to use this thread for the build. The first thing I will need to do, is identify all my parts. That way I can get ready to make mods....

I'll take the pics tomorrow....

Thanks for your time.....& Jeep Rock... jamminz.gif

I also want to add that I'm looking to run 35" Super Swampers & 15x8 black steel rims. I have this stuff from an earlier build. I am also planning to cut the frame back to the rear shackles, & cut the bed off the truck....

Just some ideas for the future.... :D

if the bed is decent i would suggest unbolting it ;)

that way you can sell it or put it back on if ya want.

35s are gonna look sweet on there, i've never seen one that looked bad on 35s jamminz.gif whereabouts in WV are ya? my whole family's from there

On the bed, I'm wanting to keep most of the floor & chuck the sides. That way when I build the exterior roll cage I can graft it into the floor of the bed. I also need some input on the drive line. Its got the 2.5 rice burner for a motor & a Dana 30 front end. I need to identify the tranny, t-case, & rear end. What came stock for this MJ in 1986?

here are the pics.......

015od6.jpg

016ap7.jpg

020fx3.jpg

018ie6.jpg

017ys4.jpg

024pq2.jpg

026lq9.jpg

This last pic is of me & my "DEMON SEED". Her name is Allie & she is my partner in crime.... ;)

004rl7.jpg

I also forgot to ask early.....What gear ratio would a truck like that have?

err, somewhere in the 4's probly 4.56 if its 2.5 auto.

SHOULD be a tag on the diff, if not jack up one tire and spin and count the revolutions of the driveshaft as oppose to the revolutions of the tire (spin tire 10x and if the driveshaft makes 45 spins then theyre 4.56ish)

or spin it 1 time and count realllly exactly ;)

nice partner in crime! :cheers:

my family is from the huntington area and proctorville ohio across the river there

Your 2.5L is not a "rice burner" unless you've somehow converted it to run on rice-based ethanol. It's a 100% American engine, designed by AMC (AMERICAN Motors Corp), so there's nothing ricey about it. With AMC's history with Renault you could maybe get away with calling it a wine burner, but rice? No way. :USAflag:

Here are a couple more pics for the update. I got the rear of the frame cut off today. I straightened up the rear of the bed. Got it cleaned out & got one side of the bed painted flat black.

We also made some decisions on the exo-cage, rock sliders, & roll bar in the bed. The exo-cage & roll bar are going to be made of 1" pipe. The rock sliders will be 2". I'm also going to run the exhaust through the floor of the bed, with strait pipe all the way....

003ps6.jpg

010yu5.jpg

011wc0.jpg

Hawk doubtful it would have 456's most had 373 or 411's unless from south and in that case could even have 308 or 354's have seen my share of them even in 4cyl 4x4 XJ and MJ's. with 35's it really needs 488's or if dana 44s are installed then 513's would be killer w/ set of spools use a set of 88-91 waggy axles, a guy w/ the name FSJ super swamper mite even have some lol. and do a leaf spring conversion up frt w/ stock YJ springs, Great flex and fully locked and geared to hell and back, should be a bad @$$ MJ However its built.

I bought a lockright lunchbox locker for the rear 35 today. I'm hopeing it will hold together longer than a weld job so I'll keep everyone posted. The little bit I have driven the Mj, I know its got at least 4.11 gears, because its low. Not rubicon low but its close....

When it comes to the axle swap, the d44's were my original idea. But Dan wasn't very receptive on that. I figure if I beat the stock gears hard enough I might just get that swap accomplished, By spring..... The 87 GW could be the perfect swap seeing how its already got the D44's built with 4.56 gears & a softlocker. I'm also looking at a 360" swap........In the Spring/Summer.... :D

No matter what, this MJ has to keep up with the Zuk's & Trackers........Thats the hole point of this build...... Just wait till the Flames & Grabber Green roll bars are done. I bet it will go an extra 10 ft with those mods....... :P

We also made some decisions on the exo-cage, rock sliders, & roll bar in the bed. The exo-cage & roll bar are going to be made of 1" pipe. The rock sliders will be 2". I'm also going to run the exhaust through the floor of the bed, with strait pipe all the way....

003ps6.jpg

One other note to make....I'm scraping the exo-cage idea... :( Thats a mod that can be made in the future. Theres to many other ideas that need to come first. Winch mount,rock sliders, etc, etc....

Were going to build the roll bars & rock sliders with 2" tubing. (((That way I will have better protection, in the event I end up on my top :shock: )))......

Well, I didn't make it as far as I hoped, But I got alot accomplished today.... I had no idea it was going to take most of the evening to cut & drill all my plates for the sliders & roll bar. Plus drilling 32 holes took some time.... I also got the roll bar ready to weld. I still have to decide what angle I'm going to use with the bar that go back into the bed. I'm leaning towards mounting them on the inner fenders. Then mounting the top on the main uprights shown below...(but not on the main cross tube.)

003dj8.jpg

004zd9.jpg

006fu3.jpg

Hey Lee thought I would stop in and check on the progress on here, looks like you need to add to it, or did you give up untill after Christmas, I'm trying to get mine going again head gasket time, did you deside on axles yet I may have found a 80s J20 for a replacement for the Waggy if you did.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the holidays are over & its time to get back to the grind. I worked real hard today & got the 3" coil springs & shocks installed. It didn't raise it as much as I hoped, but its nothing a grinder and sledge hammer can't cure...... :)

Also with the LTBs on the Rubi I can finally keep the 35 SSR's on the Comanche. Next is going to be getting the Lock-right locker installed, & giving it a fresh tune up.........Then comes the 1st field test...... :D :D :D

009sf6.jpg

010ea2.jpg