Project: 1986 Comanche Trail Rig

Did some more work to the project today. I got the rear shocks replaced, trimmed alittle more on the front fenders, & sledgehammered the front inner fenders. I gained at least another inch. I also got some updated pics to show the stance of the MJ.....Its got 3" lift upfront & stock springs in back. Its got 3" lift shocks all the way around.....(the pics of the rear is before the shocks)

016fm5.jpg

017ve4.jpg

019cv3.jpg

020cz4.jpg

021du1.jpg

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: Lock-right is installed & I need to test it with the 34" LTBS

I wanted to at least test the MJ beside my house. I think the 35's are to big, but it does show alittle performance. The tire hit the inner fenders & the carb on the 4 banger seems crappy in off camber situations

006rc8.jpg

007xe8.jpg

002nj0.jpg

003gj0.jpg

001hn4.jpg

Theres nothing like having a new toy to play with. I couldn't help myself I had test alittle more. One thing I am liking about the MJ so far, is how light the rear is. It can easily lift one rear wheel off the ground 2-3 FT. The pic with the cooler under the tire shows it fairly well.

004na3.jpg

006xg0.jpg

007nw2.jpg

005jx1.jpg

005jx1.554304e820.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got to do a small amount of testing this morning since I couldn't go on any of the trail rides today. The recent repairs made a world of difference, I can finally start climbing on stuff without the damn thing quitting on me. I am going to need some extended brake lines, otherwise I'll rip the stock one off at some point. A front locker would probably help too. I still need a winch bumper for the front, because I know when I go rootin around in the woods I have no plans to take it easy....... :twisted:

007kf2.jpg

008ht8.jpg

009po2.jpg

009po2.469c1ca447.jpg

I really like the looks of the bed!!

The 90mj that Iam hopeing to pick up has kinda the same issue.will know more once the bed is emptyed...

nice lookin rig..

BTW..why does every one stick with spring under?

seems a little :nuts: if ya ask me...

i think that some people stick with spring under because they don't want to lift it 5+ inches.

Just because the MJ isd 4 sale doesn't mean that I going to just give up the project. Besides I was having to much fun last weekend before the damn thing quit. I got the new starter relay mounted up & so far it starts every time. After the M&G tuesday I was thinking alot about the MJ on my way home. So I decided to put some time into it. don't' get me wrong this thing is still 4 sale, & the price isn't going to change until I get the exhaust stack with a loud cheap muffler ( probably a Glass Pack)

Here what I've done so far......................

When I was testing it I noticed the rear lower 1/2 of the front fender was flapping & wanting to cut on the tire. So I cut it off leaving only a small section of sheet metal

002kq9.jpg

001sv1.jpg

Next is the roll bar. I've had most of this 2" tubing cut & ready to built for a few months. Its just been a thing of getting my farm hand welder working after my dads buddy tried putting to big of wire in it.

006du0.jpg

006du0.d173c273cb.jpg

008vw6.jpg

008vw6.9829111b0f.jpg

004bn8.jpg

Did some tire swapping today. I took the 35 SSR's off & added the 34 LTB's. The main reason for this was because of flex. The 35's sure digging into the inner fenders up front & not allowing the truck to go as far as it can. The LTB's has helped this alot & only at full flex ,when the brake lines can play bango tunes, does the tires hit the inner fenders up front. The rear was rubbing but now the tire is clear of the inner fender... :)

Here is a list of what I think the MJ is going to need to be ready for the trails......

1. Extended brake lines

2. Spring spacers up front

3. Loc-Right in the front 30

4. Winch & bumper

5. 4 tow hooks

6. Front & rear main seals, plus valve cover gasket

7. Dust cover for bottom of tranny

8. Remove all the extra crap in the engine compartment

9. snorkel

10. exhaust coming up out of the bed, beside the roll bar

Here are the pics with the LTB's, I'm starting to wonder about selling this thing now.............

001qy9.jpg

002xo1.jpg

003dt1.jpg

003dt1.60b7987d0f.jpg

004ac9.jpg