1988-1998 Comanche build!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, jeff351 said:

what brake lines will you use? New MJ or XJ

I should come by some time to check out your work. You are making faster progress than I am.

I pulled the stock lines off the xj I parted out. From master cylinder all the way to the rear splitter. I’m keeping the d35 for now till I’m ready to do the 8.25 spring over swap. Then the front lines I used the stock xj ones too. 

Much mo betta. Lkq find today. Also got all the fuel lines I needed and got the radiator in and all hooked up, new clutch master cylinder and slave installed. Waiting on my accelerator cable and power steering lines to come in the mail.

image.png.20641694428ad9522fd7f1b9de96f33a.png

Got all the fuel lines ran and front down pipe in. Tried to crank but I think it’s getting weak spark so no crank today. Imma throw a new coil on and go from there. 

also look at my poverty fuel cell till I find a Dakota tank 

image.png.00b2081f837574830b839c37bd4dd9c6.png

On 4/30/2022 at 6:08 PM, Pete M said:

that is definitely going to be an issue. :( 

Replaced it with a brand new flywheel I had laying around for an old project and changed the fouled plugs and she fired right up. Took it on its first test drive. And I lost all brakes and almost died. Hit a tire with the pass fender so I gotta fix that now lmao. 

• 2 weeks later...

Haven’t done much lately to it been trying to find axles and lift stuff. I did drive it finally and lost all brakes 3 feet out the driveway so I sent it and almost died. Thank god for first gear lol anywho found some long arms for 400 a rear axle shocks and coils. But I gotta find the money. Still looking for a 355 Dana 30 hp also mocked up the Lund visor I got for 80 bucks. What do all y’all do to mount these? Zip screws? Nutserts?

514C6498-CF00-4560-921D-3B4634EF3AC9.jpeg

Ripped the Dana 35 out. And found a broken leaf pack. Any ideas? Take it out and replace with a leaf from a Cherokee pack? I’ll do whatever I do to this side on the other btw. I’m swapping in a 8.25 SOA.  Also picked up a long arm set up Rusty’s brand. And 4.5” coils. 

image.png.c5396d9ad9c0236b8dadc31bf5c0b2cd.png

image.png.7c7f75fbc948783174633160a4bef222.png

On 5/12/2022 at 10:25 PM, Pete M said:

cherokee leafs area all different.  which one was cracked?

Second one from the bottom. It’s all fixed now and the 8.25 is halfway in. Spring perches are on and that’s about it. 

Seat belts are finally installed. Don’t mind the seat I gotta get a cover. Don’t have the money to get it reupholstered right now. Also ripped out the front axle. Still trying to find a dana30 355 gears local before I got to lkq lol

0E9C7183-EFCE-49A8-8D71-235D6035C282.jpeg

43CAA409-41BF-4BED-ABD6-09DA8DED5833.jpeg

10 minutes ago, jeff351 said:

LKQ in Greer has a couple of 97-98 XJs in case you need some parts. I got some fenders off the 97.

Oh you bastard I was gonna grab those lmao. I don’t need em but always nice to have spares. I’m going to lkq Greenville tomorrow to get a front axle and a acceleration cable since the one I ordered is too short. 

Got the Dana 30 hp 355 gears under the front. And some long arms I picked up for cheap. Had to order different springs bc apparently the rear is like 45 feet taller than the front. Anyway. Also got my bumper on. Just need steering and a track bar. 

image.png.6b109246d3030944b7c17b203509585e.png
image.png.0faf356788363020ad2c313312a843b2.png
image.png.fd2f62e19f7b1bdf72e3b08e71bfac98.png

Ordered some 7.5 rubicon express coil springs and it was still raking bad so threw in some 2 inch spacers and now I think it’s too tall. But hopefully the winch will weigh it down enough. Based on my measurements these re 7.5s are actually 6 inch springs. Oh well. They were 110 shipped on Amazon warehouse. Gotta adjust the arms out a smidge to get the coil angle right and find a track bar and steering. Gotta have it ready by the end of august for jeep invasion in pigeon forge. 

17574420-BA67-4636-9C5C-5A4150E287E8.jpeg

2 hours ago, UpstateMJ said:

Ordered some 7.5 rubicon express coil springs and it was still raking bad so threw in some 2 inch spacers and now I think it’s too tall. But hopefully the winch will weigh it down enough. Based on my measurements these re 7.5s are actually 6 inch springs. Oh well. They were 110 shipped on Amazon warehouse. Gotta adjust the arms out a smidge to get the coil angle right and find a track bar and steering. Gotta have it ready by the end of august for jeep invasion in pigeon forge. 

17574420-BA67-4636-9C5C-5A4150E287E8.jpeg

I didnt even know there was a Pigeon Forge Jeep Invasion thing...I need to kick my project into overdrive and see if I can finish it by then. I'm just welding in the frame stiffeners now. 

19 hours ago, jeff351 said:

I didnt even know there was a Pigeon Forge Jeep Invasion thing...I need to kick my project into overdrive and see if I can finish it by then. I'm just welding in the frame stiffeners now. 

Yeah it’s the 10th year or something. Me and 4 other people started the very first one we had 300 Jeeps. Now it’s over 10000 a year. It’s got really big. Look into it. It’s a good time. I just need steering and a track bar to have it moving again. Then just gotta find some wheels and tires. 

Haven’t done anything lately. Been low on funds paying bills and saving for our vacation in august. But I did order a cav fab track bar and bracket, new front rotors, and all new steering  went with a new v8 zj tierod and a stock drag link since they are the same on zj xj mj. Not gonna be doing any wheeling with this one aside from dirt roads and maybe some old forest roads to chase waterfalls with the family so didn’t see the need for beefy steering at the moment. Still gotta figure out my shock situation and get the brakes all bleed and hooked up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...