My red-headed stepchild

Recently bought a comanche, and I've been lurking here for a while. Don't get me wrong, I love the truck. But I seem to have the red-headed stepchild of the family - '86 Comanche X with the 2.5L and a 5 speed, which I suppose means the 207 transfer case. Seems to have a lot of options though - bucket seats, moonroof, full gauges. Bought it with 80k original miles on it, and its in fantastic shape.

That said, I'm wanting to turn this into an off-road vehicle. I've always been told if its worth doing, its worth doing right. I'm looking at a 6 inch lift, and wanting to go long-arms. Either Claytons or RE. I know a great shop here that will be able to make it fit, but I'm just torn as to which way to go. Claytons seems to be better quality, but I'm a bit put off by make sure I get all the parts - springs seperately, as well as brake lines, and I have no idea what else. Probably SOA on the rear.

Also thinking about an engine swap at some point. I know the 3.1 and 3.4 V6 is almost a direct swap into a 2.8, but what about a 2.5?

If anyone can make sense of my post, and respond with any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

if you're looking for quality RE is one of the best built names in jeep suspension. their LA kit will definitely work, claytons is making a good name for themselves too however either kit is a good direction.

as far as motor swaps the 2.5 is basically the 4.0 minus two cylinders, if yuo get a complete parts cherokee you can swap over the entire wiring harness and everything as one

If the engine is in good shape, I would keep it and do the build up around it. There isn't a ton of power, so you'll want 4.88s (just don't keep the Dana 35). You can build up the entire suspension and axles now and do the engine swap later, so it's not like you need to tear apart a perfectly good truck just because you think you need to do it all at the same time.

Also, the 207 will survive just fine behind the 2.5L.

Thanks guys. Probably going with Claytons for sure, RE Springs....not sure on brake lines, any good words?

Buddy is trying to talk me into an 8.8 swap while I'm at it. He says whats the point in having an SOA done to the Dana 35, if I'm going to be running 33's I'm going to break it anyway. He broke the 35 on his ZJ running on 33s on the highway....

I've heard I can get a 95-01 Explorer 8.8 with disk brakes, but I've gotta run some spaces due to a slightly smaller width. Any problems with this with 33x12.50 on a 15.8 with a 4 inch backspace?