4 wheel drive not working...

Ok I found out the hard way that my 4 wheel drive isn't working. I was just screwing around in the country taking new pics and then I got the great idea to go to this little pond and back down the boat launch with the @$$ in the water as I thought it might be a cool pic. Will I got out, took the pic, I thought I had it in 4wd but I obviously didn't because when I went to pull out all I did was spin the rear tires/tire (one wheel peel).

Well I was getting alittle freaked for a sec so I try to put it in 4lo and still in 2wd. Well I kept digging the hole worse and worse so I just stopped and called my dad to come and pull me out with his durango so I would make sure not to lose my truck entirely in the pond.

Ok so I get it all pulled out and I and testing out my 4wd like I usually do, go in the gravel and give it alittle extra gas so see if I just spin the rears or actually get better traction. I did that in 2wd, got the results like I expected, did it in 4 Hi and it did the same thing as it did in 2wd. Neutral still worked then I tried 4 lo. This gets me I got it in there and it was in the low gear set but I could still spin the rears but I couldn't tell if the front was working, it seemed like it didnt though. Also I noticed in the owners manual the light on the dash is suppose to light up, mine does not, I don't know if it is a burnt out bulb or what but would that light light up on startup like the other warning lights and such??

When I got the truck back in september the 4wd worked great. I did however when before I used my 4wd today about alittle over a month ago, I got pissed off, reved up the 4.0 and dumped the clutch. I got a bunch of jerking and horrible noises, just made a crappy day worse by stripping out my spider gears in the rear. It was in 2wd then obviously but could have doing that screwed with my T-case?

I am new with 4x4's, I had a old 76 chevy 4x4 in the past but I didnt know as much as I know now about cars so I didnt do much with it. So any help would be apreciated with my 88 4.0 5 speed manche.

Oh I will post the pics for you guys, not that impressive but enough to soak my feet getting out of the jeep to hook up my tow rope.

Here are the pics I took before the stuck,

And after I got stuck cause of no 4wd, notice how it sunk down more. Oh and I managed to basically sandblast one of my painted wheels from spinning it in the gravel in the water, so I have repaint that one

Could be a couple things.

With the truck off, put it in 4wd - high or low with the tranny in gear. and get under the truck. See if you can turn the front driveshaft by hand. If you can, then your transfercase has internal problems.

If you cannot turn the driveshaft by hand, then the next thing to check is the axle disconnect on the front axle. Pull it out and see if you can manually move the shift fork. Block the wheels and start the truck up in neutral to see if the shift fork moves back and forth when you shift in and out of 4wd. Check the collar that the disconnect frok moves and see if it;s jammed.

sounds like you lost the chain. High and low gear seletion is a colloar on the main shaft in the T-case. Front is just transfered by chain and if you loose that, you have no front drive. fork for the axle disconnect would not be the problem. you should have had a front tire driving at least spinning. look to the T-case and the chain.

fork for the axle disconnect would not be the problem. you should have had a front tire driving at least spinning. look to the T-case and the chain.

Uh, wrong. With an open differential, all that is going to spin with the collar in the axle not enguaged is the disconnected shaft.

Yup you are correct about the fork. looked at the post again and saw that the driveshaft spin was not noted. I was going off there was no front shaft spin. check the fork. it could be as simple as a bad vacuum line or switch, all the way to a bad vacuum motor. either way jack up the pass side, pull the vacuum motor cover and shim the fork over so it is always engaged. You will be happier at the end of the day, or until you can trouble shoot the rest of the system.

Yup you are correct about the fork. looked at the post again and saw that the driveshaft spin was not noted. I was going off there was no front shaft spin. check the fork. it could be as simple as a bad vacuum line or switch, all the way to a bad vacuum motor. either way jack up the pass side, pull the vacuum motor cover and shim the fork over so it is always engaged. You will be happier at the end of the day, or until you can trouble shoot the rest of the system.

good call, I'm shimed and never going back :thumbsup:

i found out i had a vacuum leak very similar to what happend to you. i went with some buddies, drove like 1 1/2 hours to get there to find my 4x4 didnt work. i could get it into 4x4 by unplugging a vacuum hose on the side of the actuator on the axle. but didnt realize that until i was home :headpop:

Ok I have been looking and I tested and the chain seems to be on there. I went to check the CAD and the vacuum lines to it. Well I pulled off the lines while running to see if I have vacuum first and if I did I would assume it was the CAD vacuum motor. Well I wasnt pulling any vacuum so I was checking the lines and I found this blue line wasnt plugged in but it didnt go to the vacuum motor.

It pulled no vacuum with the engine on. I couldnt see where it plugged into. I think I traced it right and beleve it plugs into the back oh the transfercase. So anyone know what that might be for??

This is the line that is not plugged in.

It is located here under my coolant overflow.

And you can see I believe it is the blue one that plugs into the back of the T-case here.

that would be a vent line or something of the sort. all my MJ's have that line with that connector, and it doesn't connect to anything.

so i bet if i unplug that blue line, that has a screw stuck in it on my manche, my 4wd might work, seems maybe it's the problem??