Project Ozzy

Here she is. She's all mine. I'll be headed to the tax collectors office to get the License plates when they open tomorrow. I'm aware she needs some work done, but it's an 88. I didn't expect to just pick her up and be a perfect turn key vehicle. Her brakes are a bit spongy and mainly her faults are electrical issues. And she has several electrical issues. But I'm a good electrical tech so I'm sure I can get it sorted fairly fast starting with the turn signals not working.  The body is real straight, and there is absolutely NO RUST!!!

I have a 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x that is in the shop because her rear axle has failed ALREADY at 25,000 Miles! She's been there awaiting warranty repair since the beginning of October. Waiting on a rear axle for so long due to the global supply chain shortage. 

I intend to make my MJ a bit more road worthy and use her for a bit as I don't have a truck right now for doing truck things until my Nissan comes back from the dealership. Once she gets home, I think the next step will be consult with a shop about painting her before I put a ton of work into her mechanically. She may need to be torn apart to paint her properly and I don't want to do tons of work to just undo it.

I just placed her in the Jeep registry.  The guy that had her before me was a real Jeep guy that saved her from a guy that was going to cut her up, lower her, and turn her into a drift truck!  Thank god he got ahold of her before then, and thank god he had too many projects already to take on another!  Call it luck, call it destiny, call it whatever but today she's mine!

We're hopefully moving to Australia in the next couple of years.  I took this project on specifically because I have an 2001 XJ project already in the very beginning stages with a parts vehicle.  The XJ cannot come with me as the XJ I have is Left Hand Drive.  Australian Law says to register a Left hand drive vehicle it must be over 30 years old.  I've loved Comanches for years.  I've always wanted one.  They are getting harder and harder to find.  The Comanche is a North America only vehicle only and was not sold in Australia.  I figured if I was going to do a Comanche now is my time and if I am going to spend tons of time on a project before I go, I might as well work on something that has a possibility of coming with me.  And then once it comes with me it will be really unique and collectable as it wasn't sold there.  My son is in love with this thing too, so this is it, my new primary project and hopefully a family heirloom and a piece of America that will hopefully follow me.

1CB49CBF-CD3B-44E7-875E-0ED3D77D0B92.JPG

40DC6C17-D417-4DEB-BD11-37BFE3B7C99D.JPG

5363D8DF-56AA-498D-AA6D-01DB157D6AF5.JPG

08005C88-A54C-417B-916F-BF7C116CC6F9.JPG

OK So I've had a weekend with my truck and spent some time with her.

I was going to look at the brakes first but the previous owner left a wheel lock set on the vehicle and no key.  Since the wipers only worked in slow somewhat and only in one speed I decided I have a few wiper blade racks around from Cherokees so I decided lets make a swap.  And that's where owning a Comache truly slapped me in the face for the first time.  The wiper rack had an AMC plug on it and the Cherokee ones all have Chrysler plugs.  Oh well I modernized the plug in the vehicle to make all future repairs easier.  Works but the delayed function is still a no go and we now have fast but both are still slow.  I'm suspecting that ground issue but I was out of strength and daylight on the day.

Getting a good look over I want or need to do all of the following:

Finish fixing the wipers

To inspect and adjust the brakes and parking break.

Fix my turn signal (they don't work). 

Fix my Driver's seatbelt.  (the washer is missing where it attaches to the wall over the shoulder)

Fix my non-working speedometer

Fix my reverse Lights

Figure out why my taillights are in upside down and zip tied in

Buy and install Driver's side quarter glass Latch

Replace all my lock cylinders and find out why passenger door doesn't lock from inside.

Replace my Gearshifter Knob (the one I have is ugly and spins)

Seat Belt Warning Lamp Indicator is always on

Needs a Front Windshield and weatherstripping

Needs read windshild

Driver's Door Pull needs repaired

Inspect visible wiring behind dash

Add a Radio

Replace Missing Dash Pannels left and right of the wheel

Add Missing Clock

Add Missing Rear View Mirror

Add Missing Sunvisors

Add Missing Dome Lights

Add Passenger Grip Handle

Pedal Pad Replacements

Revert Back to factory style coolant reservoir.

Add Washer Fluid Reserviour

Perform Bucket Seat Conversion in Grey and Add Center Console

Replace Rear Tailgate

Replace Rear Bumper

Mount License Plate Bracket Lights properly

Add 5 speed transmission body gasket

Get shift light working again

Paint Body & Replace Factory Pioneer Graphics

Transplant 4wd components from my 99 XJ

Find Red Stripe 4WD selector

Move Parking Break to center console.

As you guys can see I have my work cut out for me.  I know things will come up along the way.  As I'm just getting started do you guys have any recommendations for where you guys acquire parts?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...