Chevy 348 Big Block

A killer deal for this 348 turned up on FB marketplace the other day. It was too good of a deal to pass up, so I ended up buying it. It is super complete, has no cracks, and turns over freely. 
The first thing I am going to do is make sure we can get it to run. After that, I’m not sure what the plan is. 

The numbers on the motor come back to the engine being a 58 (built 1/24/1958), with 250 horsepower, a 4bbl carb, and a Powerglide automatic. 
8CAA316A-E6B4-4B5C-84CC-EDAD24F89352.jpeg.b643af1d144a52a7e6d430b77b56582b.jpegFA757DFB-B784-4A58-BC78-08919C5661B4.jpeg.5f8ffcc37965f110bffa13be0c52aa37.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

sweet!  for one of your tractors?  :brows:

I have considered putting it in a larger tractor, but that is TBD. I also think it would be cool to build a street freak out of a 58-60 Rambler American2C0C8BDD-99F0-4C9B-A0CF-6E64E010CD66.jpeg.69af3cc7fd45e7f28d98963f7e89da38.jpeg

1 hour ago, JMO413 said:

Nice find!!

Indeed it is! Especially at the price I got it for. 

Well, we played with the engine a little more today. We pulled the exhaust manifolds and spark plugs. The valves and plugs all looked pretty good. I forgot pictures, I’ll see about some tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not much on this has happened since November. The guy that loaned me the dual quad intake gave me a screaming deal on his 348 and this intake, so I am going to have two of these in a couple of weeks. I will have to sell if my extra AX-15 to make it happen though…

• 5 months later...

No real progress lately. I pulled the valve train out, but that's all. I also acquired another pair of heads, a crank, and a set of pistons. Oh, and I acquired the vehicle that this will be going in. Stay tuned!!!

• 7 months later...

Well, plans changed with the 348. Being that I am on the other side of the country from all of my projects more often than not and will be for another couple of years, I decided to sell the 348. The small block in the 40 is an almost new crate motor anyways, so that truck will probably stick with that engine anyways.