Where to mount 4 wheel drive Disconnect Cable

Need location suggestions from anyone who has actually mounted on 4 wheel drive Disconnect Cable. The dash is too flexible and not enough room on driver side and still be able to adjust seat. The passenger side would work but then the cable is too close to exhaust pipe and will burn/melt. Any good suggestions?

direct replacement for the factory vacuum system that was supplied on stock axles. This kit eliminates the vacuum diaphragm and puts all of the control in the hands of the driver. No more partial engaging or disengaging, and no more changing vacuum pumps every couple years. Simply push the button and pull the cable to activate. For Everyday street driving press push the cable in to deactivate the shift fork in the axle. This kit can work with the factory shift fork already in the axle, but for the ultimate in performance, upgrade to the Heavy Duty Shift Fork.

Crown Automotive RT23002 Manual Axle Disconnect Kit for 87-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ and 84-93 Cherokee XJ & Comanche MJ

My question to you is if it needs installed at all. I'm aware there's a handful of reasons for doing it so no judgement, but I'm definitely in the mindset of just permanently locking it in and forgetting about it, and taking the slight MPG hit.

I'm not of a mind that you're saving yourself wear and tear. If anything just moving it. With it locked, you're spinning the driveshaft, ring and pinion, and diff bearings, sure, but they're unloaded. With the CAD unlocked you've got your spider gears going crazy which don't have roller bearings under them, and now your driveshaft ujoints are sitting in one position, which isn't always great for them.

My personal objection to the cable actuator is mostly that now you've got something very obviously not factory that you need to put somewhere obvious under the dash or around the shifter, but it's your truck so if that's not a problem to you, I won't argue with you about it. 

I don't really have a suggestion where to put it, sorry.

Jeep stopped using the CAD in the early 90s.  no one has found any extra wear and tear in those XJs over the CAD MJ/XJs .  :dunno:  no change in MPGs either.  sounds like it was mostly an advertising gimmick more than anything else. 

but keeping it gives the option of 2wd Low range if that appeals to you. :L: 

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

no change in MPGs either. 

I would disagree. My typical mpg didn't really change by much after locking my CAD, but then my driving habits weren't regular enough for it to be that noticeable, and I was hardly scientific about recording fuel economy. But I had a handful of tanks where I got just over 19 mpg before swapping to a single-piece shaft, and after having done that I never touched 19mpg again. The ring gear, carrier, and driveshaft aren't a ton of weight to get spinning, but it is something, and it will consume extra energy.

But before going further down this rabbit hole, does anyone have a suggestion where to put the cable handle? I would think you'd want it somewhere near the tcase handle maybe?

how hard do you need to pull on it to get it to engage?  I could see myself maybe fabbing a bracket that attaches to the center console in my truck.  :L:  you could tie in to the 4wd shifter bracket for strength.

the difference in MPG is essentially whatever it takes to spin the driveshaft around.  very tiny compared to pushing a 2 ton brick through the air.