Stroker Numbers

I’ve given some thought to eventually either taking the engine out of my Comanche and stroking it or buying another engine entirely and building it. However, I want to see some real world numbers that people have gotten with their builds - HP, torque, etc along with whatever build you have.

Also if anyone has ever run a stroker with the Renix intake and smog, I’d be interested in what numbers you’re pulling. I’m in a very unforgiving state when it comes to engine mods, so something like removing the EGR is impossible.

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer
4.0 Liter w/ AW4 2WD

I’ve built 3 strokers to varying degrees. My favorite was the mini stroker with amc 232 crank, bored 60 over with a nice comp 235 cam. It was very efficient and ran on 87 all day long with a tight quench. I ran a Holley sniper efi on it and tuned it up nicely.

That being said, although I have a soft spot for the 4.0 I’ve had my fill of building them. I’m thinking the Cummins 2.8 for the next build. Something that has more torque than most stroked 4.0’s and way better fuel economy. Just a thought. 

There’s plenty of info out there. Just keep in mind when you’re looking at dyno numbers that unless the runs were done pretty near back to back on the same dynamometer, they’re not likely to be accurate enough for direct comparison. It’s better if you can find someone who took a baseline against a good running stock engine and compares the before and after.

12 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I’ve built 3 strokers to varying degrees. My favorite was the mini stroker with amc 232 crank, bored 60 over with a nice comp 235 cam. It was very efficient and ran on 87 all day long with a tight quench. I ran a Holley sniper efi on it and tuned it up nicely.

Most people aren't even aware of (or forget) the old 232. I've considered doing a mini-stroker based on that crank, but you're the only person I've even heard of who has done it.

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Most people aren't even aware of (or forget) the old 232. I've considered doing a mini-stroker based on that crank, but you're the only person I've even heard of who has done it.

It really is a nice all around stroker setup. I ,regrettably, never had it dynoed as I didn’t have one available at the time. I can say though that the power band seemed to be in a very sweet spot between a 4.0 and a 258 based stroker. 

For those who don't know, the old 232 engine (3.8L) had the same 3.75" bore as the 258/4.2L, but the stroke was 3.50" instead of 3.90". The 4.0L has a 3.88" bore and a 3.41" stroke.

Put them together and a 4.0L engine with a 232 crank will yield a displacement of 4.07 liters at the stock 3.88" bore, 4.13 liters at a .030 over-bore, and 4.20 liters at a .060" over-bore.

For comparison, the stock 4.0L is actually 3.97L at stock bore, 4.03 liters at .030" over-bore, and 4.09 liters at .060" over-bore.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:32 PM, Dammerung said:

I’ve given some thought to eventually either taking the engine out of my Comanche and stroking it or buying another engine entirely and building it. However, I want to see some real world numbers that people have gotten with their builds - HP, torque, etc along with whatever build you have.

Also if anyone has ever run a stroker with the Renix intake and smog, I’d be interested in what numbers you’re pulling. I’m in a very unforgiving state when it comes to engine mods, so something like removing the EGR is impossible.

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer
4.0 Liter w/ AW4 2WD

Can't say I've seen many dyno sheets posted around here lately.

But, if you google "jeep stroker forum" you will find there is a forum dedicated entirely to discussing jeep strokers.