MJ Bucket Seats

My 87 MJ currently has a bench seat and I'm thinking about converting to bucket seats. Is there any direct fit brackets ( re-drilling) that would bolt in directly from either an MJ or some other model Jeep? What about the console will that to go in place easly?

Thanks

Mike

most any bucket can be adapted with a bit of angle iron of square tubing. :L:  don't feel like you need to limit yourself to Jeeps.  but keep in mind that not all buckets lean forward (for example, 4 door XJs do not).  seats that lean are typically found in 2 door vehicles like regular cab trucks, 2dr XJs, or sports cars where they need to access the back for gear or passenger egress. 

some XJs came with the curved track.   those will sit you up a couple inches higher than you are now. 

404925400.jpg

On the MJ Bucket Seat Bracket, there are more Supports, to keep the Bucket Seat from "Rocking" from side to side.

Check with krustyballer16, I Believe he was making Replacement Bucket Seat Brackets.

TAKE NOTE: The Bench Seat Brackets, WILL NOT work Properly for Bucket Seats.

ALSO: The XJ Brackets ARE DIFFERENT than MJ Bucket Seat Brackets. The Floor Contour IS DIFFERENT between them.

6 hours ago, GrizzzzBear said:

TAKE NOTE: The Bench Seat Brackets, WILL NOT work Properly for Bucket Seats.

please explain.  are you referring to the floor brackets?  people have reused those for buckets. :dunno:

Instead of starting a new thread, I have a related question.

I’m buying an 86 Comanche tomorrow and I may use the bucket seats from the 86 in my 88 Comanche (88 brackets are pretty rusted). I know there are some differences between 86 and newer MJ’s. Are the seat brackets/floor mounting points the same?

Is there a thread/post that lists the differences between 86 and newer MJ’s?

Thanks,

Shane

41 minutes ago, Pete M said:

what sort of differences are you looking for?  sheetmetal changes?  trim changes?  wiring?

I’ve been reading through “swap” posts, and evidently the firewall issue isn’t a huge deal (I know how to swing a mallet). Also aware that later build dates have reformed firewall. 

The 86 is 4x4 2.8 auto, so I guess that means it has the 700 TorqueFlight trans. Hoping it has Selec-Trac vs Command Trac. 

seller hasn’t responded to multiple messages after agreeing to price and pickup today 😡😡😡

Best option seems to be the 3.4 liter engine. Can I just order a 3.4 crate engine and swap all the externals over?

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

yes, you can absolutely order a 3.4L and install it. :L: 

that auto won't have overdrive, so be prepared for that.  :(

do you have the VIN?  the guys can look up the build sheet.  :D

The seller agreed to price and pickup, but isn’t answering texts or calls now.  Guess the search will continue. 

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

yes, you can absolutely order a 3.4L and install it. :L: 

that auto won't have overdrive, so be prepared for that.  :(

do you have the VIN?  the guys can look up the build sheet.  :D

Thanks, good to know for next project. 

My 88 SWB 4x4 is getting an AX-15 conversion and 96 XJ D30 this week. 

I’m gathering parts for similar upgrades/4x4 conversion for my 89 LWB 2WD. 

Thanks for your answers to so many questions. 

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

people suck.  :fistshake2:

Yeah, I’ve had some good experiences buying Comanches and parts overall, but some of these people make a deal and then evidently make another deal 😡😡😡

This particular 86 XLS looked to have a lot of options, so I was hoping it had the AMC 20 axle and MT springs. 

On 10/20/2021 at 3:23 PM, 89ComancheProject said:

Yeah, I’ve had some good experiences buying Comanches and parts overall, but some of these people make a deal and then evidently make another deal 😡😡😡

This particular 86 XLS looked to have a lot of options, so I was hoping it had the AMC 20 axle and MT springs. 

20 and mt springs that be cool.:shhh: