Cherokee seats in an MJ

I've always seen a lot of threads about XJ seats in an MJ, and discussion about having to modify the XJ brackets a little etc. So, is it possible to simply bolt an XJ seat on to an MJ seat bracket and you're done? Like everybody else, my driver side seat is torn as are most of the JY seats out there, so I think I've found some XJ pass seats in good shape. I was hoping to get one of those and simply bolt it to my driver side seat bracket. Other than my tilt levers being on the inside of the seat, are there any other issues to know about, assuming this all can be done w/out much hassle? Thanks for any help.

I have a rip in my seats too... somebody was suppose to send me some pictures of their seats,, but never did,,, I won't say any names.....:roll:..... JeepcoMJ :D

Just to get by I went to walmarts fabic section and picked up some of this iron on patch stuff,, (its was Stephs idea actually) and ironed it on it looks pretty good. I could of took my time a little more and it would have came out looking factory. I really just slapped it on an trimmed the edges.

I have a rip in my seats too... somebody was suppose to send me some pictures of their seats,, but never did,,, I won't say any names.....:roll:..... JeepcoMJ :D

Just to get by I went to walmarts fabic section and picked up some of this iron on patch stuff,, (its was Stephs idea actually) and ironed it on it looks pretty good. I could of took my time a little more and it would have came out looking factory. I really just slapped it on an trimmed the edges.

who dun it?!

haha, sorry jt I wiped my messages on accident and was tryin to figure out who it was.

will do in the AM :D...if you're still interested

JT, how bout some pics of your patchwork?

Jeepco, what color are those seats if JT doesn't want 'em?

So, to be clear, the seats simply unbolt from the XJ brackets? Do the mounting holes match up to the MJ or are new holes needed on the MJ brackets?

Thanks for everyone's help.

How many posts needed here before I can post pics? I think it's 50 on jeepforum.

cool. were you the one who was painting, err, dying your interior black? were you looking for seats also? i'm sure you've already tried this, but if no have you been to car-parts.com? salvage yard locater site, it's like finding a needle in a haystack for particular items like seats, i.e. that are in good shape. even harder to get them to send you pics, but i think i may have found one for me. i have the equally as hard to come by maroon. i think i'm going to buy the seat, it's the pass side but in real good shape. since my foam is crushed and dead on my driver side, i think my shop can strip the material from this salvaged one and re-do my drivers side. that's the idea anyway.........

lol

I have a succinct ability to find seats cheap. mfpdm found me both sets of my near mint black seats and most of my black interior. I had to dye the rear trim and door panels, and the main dash. everything else was OEM black.

I have 3 full sets of grey bucket seats, one mint set, and 2 sets with 2 small cracks on the dr/side lower. only one set is from a 2 door, and I'm keeping that set. they're all grey.

so..I don't need any contacts on the seats lol

hey,

as to 4dr XJ seats, i have them and love them, theyre the BIG side bolstered super comfy rocker seats, and i have no troubles getting my acoustic behind the seats, just have to slide one forwards a little, so it's not THAT bad getting behind them without them flipping. but it would be nice.

however now i have a sub taking up most of the passenger room so it doesnt matter at all anymore :brows:

Like I said I just threw the things on. It could look good..

This was a big ol' cig burn..

Image Not Found

This is the drivers side, it was ripped and looked blah.. at least it won't tear (drip-drip that is spelled the same right??) ..

Image Not Found

This is the passengers side. It had a rip across it. This one looked the best, but still not as good as it could. I should of let Steph do it, but I was rushed to at least get something on them.

Image Not Found

All by the way, their really clean. I had just took the seats out of the washing machine.. I removed the fabric covers and threw them in with some purple power and soaked them overnight, then washed with regular laundry soap. Took them out and let them hang dry. Was a easy little detail. Another reason I did all that was the fold forward latch had bent the little bracket that held the cable that pulls the little hook to let them fold forward.(wipes brow) I'm going to ride it like that until I find something else.

Like I said I just threw the things on. It could look good..

This was a big ol' cig burn..

Image Not Found

This is the drivers side, it was ripped and looked blah.. at least it won't tear (drip-drip that is spelled the same right??) ..

Image Not Found

Did the washing machine cause any rips or tears? I was thinking of washing my seat skins but I was scared the washing maching would destroy them.

This is the passengers side. It had a rip across it. This one looked the best, but still not as good as it could. I should of let Steph do it, but I was rushed to at least get something on them.

Image Not Found

All by the way, their really clean. I had just took the seats out of the washing machine.. I removed the fabric covers and threw them in with some purple power and soaked them overnight, then washed with regular laundry soap. Took them out and let them hang dry. Was a easy little detail. Another reason I did all that was the fold forward latch had bent the little bracket that held the cable that pulls the little hook to let them fold forward.(wipes brow) I'm going to ride it like that until I find something else.

i can't believe how well those things cleaned up, even w/out knowing how dirty they were. i haven't taken a close look at how the covers are on there, so how hard was it to take them off, and after washing you didn't have any trouble getting them back on?

They were pretty dirty. The biggest problem I ran into was bolting the bottom part of the seat back on the frame. after I had one side bolted down I had to take a hammer and kinda beat the frame to align the the other bolt holes.. Was well worth removing the seat covers IMHO