WJ Sway Bar swap, worth it?

kazam

Greetings,

This Comanche is a 1987 (mostly) now 4WD, with about  a 2" lift front and rear, with 31.5" tires.

2.5L engine, 'would like to install a 4.0L later.

I have a 2001 WJ that was hit and will be retired to the pick-n-pull.

I am considering salvaging the sway bar (and links) to install on the Comanche.

I saw a post on the forum somewhere, where this swap had been done.

I am not sure that the swap is worth my time right now.

I am aware the WJ sway bar is well built.

The Comanche has WJ control arms installed.

Does the WJ sway bar make a noticable difference compared to stock components in maintained condition?

Thanks.

The WJ is a nice swap but this deal is unbeatable: https://teamcherokee.com/front-sway-bar-assembly-oem-jeep-cherokee-xj-1994-2001/

it’s a 28mm sway bar and rides very nice. Direct swap, just change the bushings to the 28mm size. Make sure you don’t currently have a 28mm bar as it’s possible some may have swapped it kn the past. 

I have no experience with the WJ sway bar, but I found the 28mn bar off a ZJ was a noticeable improvement. I can only imagine one off a heavier WJ to be even better.

But whether or not you notice depends on your driving style. I just changed out a broken end link on a friend’s XJ, and the only thing she noticed was the noise the broken link was making banging against the sway bar, because she drives like there’s a card castle in the back she doesn’t want to knock over… never goes around corners fast enough to know what normal body roll feels like, and she’s put over 100k miles on the thing. Most people are somewhere between the two extremes.

I have a 2" lift XJ with the 4.0L and auto trans 31" tires. I have looked into a WJ sway bar for another reason. I have frame stiffeners and a Bad Dad Fab hidden winch bumper installed. So, my stock sway bar rubs on the hidden winch cradle or frame. I have KYB Monomax front shocks and some white box ones for the rear. The Monomax are almost as stiff as Bilstein 5100's. The rears are probably like Rancho 200's. I feel the rear floats a bit. I think the WJ bar is 32 mm. It is roughly 5 inches wider. I did get an OME sway bar for a WJ. They reduce the diameter to 1-1/8".  So, about 28.6mm. I measure my present swaybar at 1.093. 

From memory and looking at the bar I have, the WJ sway bar is longer. So, you have to move it forward an inch or so. I think use the front bolt hole for the rear, and then there might be hole for the front already there. I think I'd go with the HD XJ swaybar.  I do plan to get a Hellweg for my rear. I want to see what Bilstein rear shocks will do. I have a set that is the right length for 2" and have a small remote reservoir. 

My advice is to stay true to your build goals.

If you wanted a lean, mean street carver you probably shouldn't have added the lift, tires and 4wd components.

If this is a weekend warrior build then it dosen't make a whole lot of sense to invest time and effort into a part that most people disconnect as soon as they hit the dirt anyway.

If you don't feel you NEED the swap, then don't do it.  Stick to the bare minimum needed to keep the rig manageable on the street. Pick the lightest weight option, that is easiest to flip up out of the way when on dirt.

Unless you plan to add significant weight up high on your rig (like a rooftop tent), your stock sway bar should perform fine.

5” wider if that’s the case might be a consideration. On stock wheels, the 31’s on my ZJ just slightly rub the sway bar. It would be problematic if the sway bar stuck out an extra couple inches on each side.

Also I see no reason not to want a stiffer sway bar for a lifted vehicle if it’s being street driven. Taller means more body roll. Run disconnects (or just unbolt and tie up end links) for flexing off-road.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:34 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

I’ll repeat this because I think everyone missed it lol: https://teamcherokee.com/front-sway-bar-assembly-oem-jeep-cherokee-xj-1994-2001/

Didn’t miss it… it’s the same 28mm sway bar the ZJ used, that I mentionned above I’ve got installed in my long bed. Although mine came from the junkyard instead of buying new. It’s an excellent option for sure.

7 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Didn’t miss it… it’s the same 28mm sway bar the ZJ used, that I mentionned above I’ve got installed in my long bed. Although mine came from the junkyard instead of buying new. It’s an excellent option for sure.

Sweet, yeah it’s a very nice front sweat bar option for sure. 

I should have used the words NOS :laugh2:. That may have evoked a few drool emojis :drool: lol