Repairing front header panel...

I am in the process of repairing the front header panel on the ol' MJ. I had the problem with the screws holding the headlight/turn signal trim pieces corroded and the heads snapped off. I'm sure many have had the same issue. Instead of buying a new one I decided to try to rhab the old one.

So far I've removed the broken screws by drilling/dremeling the material around the screws away. The plan is to rebuild the removed plastic or fiberglass material and redrill the trim hols

My question is what do I use to build the removed areas back up? Would fiberglass resin be OK or is there a plastic epoxy that would work better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I am in the process of repairing the front header panel on the ol' MJ. I had the problem with the screws holding the headlight/turn signal trim pieces corroded and the heads snapped off. I'm sure many have had the same issue. Instead of buying a new one I decided to try to rhab the old one.

So far I've removed the broken screws by drilling/dremeling the material around the screws away. The plan is to rebuild the removed plastic or fiberglass material and redrill the trim hols

My question is what do I use to build the removed areas back up? Would fiberglass resin be OK or is there a plastic epoxy that would work better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Here's my tip on removing the broken screws(too late though).

I just mig welded nuts onto the broken screws and they came right out.

I would think fiberglass wound be your best choce now.

Would have don't it that if I could. However, no MIG welder and all of the screws broke flush with the surface of the header panel.

OK, so it sounds like the resin is the way I need to go. Next question, do I have build it up in layers in the areas that I hogged out or can I just build the area back up with a single thick coat?

Should I think about adding fiberglass strands for reinforcement or would that be redundant?

I just used 1 layer, I'd say more would be better. Might add, I bought a replacement header once, didn't fit well(too wide of gap between it and hood), and I didn't use it.

Since I'm filling holes, do you think the process would be different for me?

Mine was cracked all the way through on both sides from above the headlight to corners behind the grille. I used the plastic epoxy to fix it and it seems to have worked fine. I really like that stuff. I've used it to repair motorcycle fairings too. I'm not sure it work though if your adding on to the existing piece. Fiberglass would probably be the better choice. Maybe you could get some plastic of a similar thickness or even metal to make new tabs and just use the fiberglass or the epoxy as an adhesive.

Chris

A new header panel costs about $30 from certifit

Do you have experience with the part? If so, how well did it fit? Also, what was the shipping cost? I couldn't find mention of it on their website.

No shipping cost, I just ran over and picked it up. Fit fine for me, the one I replaced was crushed. Got the header, grill and 2 headlight surrounds for $65. Good price, especially when you are just going to mess it up again.

Using junkyard headers isn't an option in MN. I have yet to find one that you could actually get the screws out of without snapping them off.

Would have don't it that if I could. However, no MIG welder and all of the screws broke flush with the surface of the header panel.

Mine all broke off flush and they all came out when I welded the nuts to them, I even removed the screws out of my original header after I removed it since I updated mine to a '95 header/grill combo.

A new header panel costs about $30 from certifit

Do you have experience with the part? If so, how well did it fit? Also, what was the shipping cost? I couldn't find mention of it on their website.

No shipping cost, I just ran over and picked it up. Fit fine for me, the one I replaced was crushed. Got the header, grill and 2 headlight surrounds for $65. Good price, especially when you are just going to mess it up again.

Using junkyard headers isn't an option in MN. I have yet to find one that you could actually get the screws out of without snapping them off.

If you have a mig or have a buddy that does, weld some nuts onto the broken screws and they come out.