4.3L swap?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even if you did put it on the back, how was you going to remove it?

the whole front half or just the motor? if it is just the motor i could use a hoist, if it is the front half, i'd probably chain it up and put it out with another vehicle.

i most likely wouldn't get the whole front half. i got no way to haul it to my place, and i wouldn't need the rest of the crap that came with it, i just the need the engine and harness. we are talking about the front half a firebird.

alright. well i really don't know anything about it, i am still learning about a lot of this stuff. i can do some engine work and electrical work, but there's still a lot i don't know.
Sign up at v8s10.org and ask questions if you need to. I go by the name chevy350 there

S10Wildside on that forum makes custom harnesses if you are interested, or ask in the wanted section and buy a used harness from someone

I thought you were still doing the 4.3 but yeah, it will be same on the 3.4 as far as I know. Google it some more and you probably find some good explanations of how TBI works.

nope, not even close to correct. the 3.4 is a MPFI injection system, it has 6 injectors with a throttle body. not TBI.

still easy, and like I said to him, he just needs the engine and IT'S harness....I wouldn't get an engine from one vehicle and a harness from another and even computer from another, as things could be wrong.

but, idk, I've only basically done this swap with a bit more pep anyways ;)

the only reason I'd want the whole car is that you get the added insurance of having everything you'd possibly need. plus, I smashed my camaro even more before I yanked the motor :roll:

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but I bet if you wanted to put TBI on a 3.4 you could do it ;)

What exactly are you doing?

edit: I scanned back over the whole thread and don't even know where I got that you were doing TBI from :D Didn't 2.8's have TBI at some point? You could probably use that if TBI is the way you are going. Also, the van that the 4.3 is/was in has a TBI harness at your disposal if you have it.

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but I bet if you wanted to put TBI on a 3.4 you could do it ;)

edit: I scanned back over the whole thread and don't even know where I got that you were doing TBI from :D Didn't 2.8's have TBI at some point? You could probably use that if TBI is the way you are going. Also, the van that the 4.3 is/was in has a TBI harness at your disposal if you have it.

2.8's from a chevy s10 or blazer would have the TBI. retrofitting a TBI from something like a 4.3 to a 2.8 (or 3.4) would be expensive, making the swap pointless. also, putting that TBI or carb from the 2.8 on would kill power and economy...the point is to get both, and MPFI can give that to you alot better, plus I'm not even kidding, there's about 20 wires to remove entirely, and 7 to splice, and a fuse box in the engine bay to alter (remove ABS control, air shock control, etc). it's really not rocket science...you're tricking the motor into thinking it's still in the camaro

2.8's from a chevy s10 or blazer would have the TBI. retrofitting a TBI from something like a 4.3 to a 2.8 (or 3.4) would be expensive, making the swap pointless. also, putting that TBI or carb from the 2.8 on would kill power and economy...the point is to get both, and MPFI can give that to you alot better, plus I'm not even kidding, there's about 20 wires to remove entirely, and 7 to splice, and a fuse box in the engine bay to alter (remove ABS control, air shock control, etc). it's really not rocket science...you're tricking the motor into thinking it's still in the camaro

once i get the engine and harness and begin the swap i will let you know, in case i run into any problems.

I was browsing advanceadapters.com and they might have an adapter for a 4.3 to your transmission. If you have a torqueflite it will be able to hold up. The downside is the adapter will cost around $500 but if you already have the engine and everything to go with it, that actually isn't that expensive.

Have you decided on what you are doing? What engine and fuel system?

My opinion is don't run the 60* V6 if you want anything that resembles performance. I obviously don't know anything about the 3.4 but if it's like the 2.8 it's junk. A 3.4 is definately your easiest swap if that is what you are after. You would not have to get driveshafts made or fab anything up, it would be basically a bolt-on mod.

Another suggestion is just get the engine in there and run a carb and come back and do FI as another project.

Or you could swap the entire drivetrain instead of buying the 4.3 adapter. For $500 you could buy a used transmission and transfercase.

You have a lot of options on this actually...

Don't worry, the 3.4L is nothing like the old 2.8 when it comes to performance. If I remember right, it put out 160 hp in the Camaro. What was the 2.8L, 110hp?

i thought the camaro put out 140 and the firebird put out 160? maybe i read something wrong or mixed em up.

is it possible to convert or get a tbi 3.4L?

get a camaro 3.4 longblock and get any 80's chevy s10 fuel injection intake, throttle body, air filter @$$'y, valve covers, engine bay wiring, and under-dash wiring. the computer is under the right hand side of the dash.

sounds like that would be easier for you to do, but chasing down parts between different cars sucks.

...like for my 3800 swap, I have all engine components from a 3.8 camaro 1996, I have a renix 4.0 radiator, a HO 4.0 condensor and dryer, a ford v8 mpfi in-line fuel pump, and that was the easiest way for me to go...

i better start making a list of everything i need. you were all over the place then. there's a guy at my work said he can most likely get me an engine for cheap because his brother. and if i can find out if my engine has large journals i can trade him and get it a whole lot cheaper that way.