HD Tie Rod

Agreed with above. Overkill is subjective.  An HD tie rod doesn't "do" anything other than resist bending under impact or other shock load.

Two things to consider. First, the added strength comes at the cost of added weight. A solid tie rod is probably 3x  heavier than the hollow stock unit.  Generally, I'd say don't add weight you don't need.

Second, on the Synergy website it says that HD tie rod is designed to work only with the Synergy drag link. I don't know why. There are other HD tie rods on the market that mate up just fine with stock / ZJ drag links.

As ghetdjc points out, I think that is for a WJ setup. Some refer to it as cross over steering or OTK steering. I have 1-ton GM steering from Ruff Stuff on my two XJs. I like it. It seems more stable and less bump steer. On my 2" lifted XJ, I am not running a steering stabilizer on it.

There are other set up for a beefed up 'Y' link. I do have an Iron Rock one, but not installed. 

I'll try and post a cross over steering setup. 

As ghetdjc points out, I think that is for a WJ setup. Some refer to it as cross over steering or OTK steering. I have 1-ton GM steering from Ruff Stuff on my two XJs. I like it. It seems more stable and less bump steer. On my 2" lifted XJ, I am not running a steering stabilizer on it.

There are other set up for a beefed up 'Y' link. I do have an Iron Rock one, but not installed. 

I'll try and pCategory: U-Turn - OffRoadOnlyost a cross over steering setup. 

Category: U-Turn - OffRoadOnly. I haven't used on, but I hear good things. 

If you off road there will always be a weak link or something to break. A bent stock tie-rod on mall crawlers can sometimes be the easiest and cheapest evil to fix steering component wise. They are easy to carry spare, find in stock at local stores, and junkyards about anywhere. You could have a spare fully loaded and premeasured ready to drop in for way less as well. Your build and goals with what you do with it should ultimately be the deciding factor. I personally have always left that intentionally weak on my mall crawlers for this very reason.