88 Alternator

I’m looking to add 3 electric fans to my radiator and I don’t know how to wire a switch or sensor to the third. To not deal with this problem I’d like to get a higher amp alternator. I’ve only found the mean green alternator which costs $400, I’d like to find something cheaper but I haven’t come up with much.

4 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

So are you planning to have the two fans run all the time and the 3rd act as a backup? If so, wire it to the original e fan connection. If the current draw is correct. I know my 01 XJ oem fan drew about 25amps at startup. 

Yessir, I want 2 fans connected to the original aux fan wiring and then have the third on a toggle switch.

36 minutes ago, makoa said:

Yes. Waste of money. Did not last and didn’t put out what was advertised. Either a good parts store alternator or go with a name brand like power master or mean green. I personally run a custom built Singer unit for car audio. 

37 minutes ago, makoa said:

Do you want quality?

You should have a CS130, you can get those up to 165amp with 100amp at idle.........that's at idle!

Call them.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/

3 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Do you want quality?

You should have a CS130, you can get those up to 165amp with 100amp at idle.........that's at idle!

Call them.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/

I’ll call them up tomorrow it’s 8:22 pm here. Thanks for the reply, I’m new to this stuff and this is the first car/truck I’ve worked on.

6 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Yes. Waste of money. Did not last and didn’t put out what was advertised. Either a good parts store alternator or go with a name brand like power master or mean green. I personally run a custom built Singer unit for car audio. 

Alrighty sir thanks for letting me know, you’ve saved me time and money.

39 minutes ago, makoa said:

I'm just worried that this won’t be able to support 3 electric fans.

It's too bad you don't have a catalog. 

You have a simple GM 1 wire alt with a 6 rib serpentine pulley. 

You need to look and measure yours to know which one will fit. 

You can get a 165amp alt, you just need the correct part number to order it. 

Never talk to the idiots at Jegs or Summit, they don't know what they don't know and they don't know that they know very little. 

You left out of the equation your battery, the battery is the ballast of your electrical system.

I saw your build page.......three fans......

The only fans I would ever use are Spal. 

How you wire your fans......controller? all at once or sequential or soft-start? it all matters. 

It matters when your fans come on, at 180 and get ahead of the heat or at 220 when it's too late?

Anyway, below are a few pages of the catalog. 

drD2n2O.jpg

udvZskc.jpg

cTep58B.jpg

21 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

It's too bad you don't have a catalog. 

You have a simple GM 1 wire alt with a 6 rib serpentine pulley. 

You need to look and measure yours to know which one will fit. 

You can get a 165amp alt, you just need the correct part number to order it. 

Never talk to the idiots at Jegs or Summit, they don't know what they don't know and they don't know that they know very little. 

You left out of the equation your battery, the battery is the ballast of your electrical system.

I saw your build page.......three fans......

The only fans I would ever use are Spal. 

How you wire your fans......controller? all at once or sequential or soft-start? it all matters. 

It matters when your fans come on, at 180 and get ahead of the heat or at 220 when it's too late?

Anyway, below are a few pages of the catalog. 

drD2n2O.jpg

udvZskc.jpg

cTep58B.jpg

I’m hooking up 2 fans to the original wiring then one to a toggle switch. As for temp and start time and order I don’t have an answer. Good questions for me to think about though.

2 fans to what original wires? Are you not replacing the mechanical fan with no wires? Your accessory fan has wires. You will need a fan controller to turn fans on at certain temperature. 

You should do more research as you going for a bigger alt seemingly first seems as if you don't know how to go about this. 

1 hour ago, makoa said:

one to a toggle switch.

That's a mistake. Your cooling system needs to be mindless, build it and forget it. 

I'm typing this not just for you but for anyone who may read this. 

You are building a cooling system. E-fans get a bad rap because most people who go E-fans fail to build a cooling system which works. 

Each fan must have it's own relay. Wires from relays to fans should be no longer than 24".

I'm posting this as an example, I'm not suggesting you buy this, do your own homework- https://www.ebay.com/itm/123916172594?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&var=424997860739

That is an ON delay relay. 

You can use-

Fan 1 - standard no delay relay

Fan 2 - 5 second ON delay relay

Fan 3 - 10 second ON delay relay

Sender from water neck will have a neg wire. 

Neg wire to trigger main relay.

Main relay triggers three fan relays. 

You will need two standard relays and two delay relays. 

You have now created a sequential three fan system. 

Fan (1) will come on immediately upon reaching 180 degrees. 

Followed by fan (2) 5 seconds later, followed by fan (3) 10 seconds later. 

Bonus thought- 

You can piggyback the Main relay (double pole) to a second Main relay with a 3 minute OFF delay. 

When you turn the truck off the second Main relay is then triggered for three minutes to continue cooling after the engine is shut off. Eliminating heat soak. 

23 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

2 fans to what original wires? Are you not replacing the mechanical fan with no wires? Your accessory fan has wires. You will need a fan controller to turn fans on at certain temperature. 

You should do more research as you going for a bigger alt seemingly first seems as if you don't know how to go about this. 

you are correct sir