Fuel Pump And Sending Unit!

• 2 weeks later...

MTS Fuel pump assembly came today and I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed. With the factory assembly, the fuel pump was mounted and secured on both ends with a nut. So it was very solid and was sure to stay in place. Not the case with the new one. It fits fine on the bottom end but there is no mount on the top! The fuel pump rotates a little bit and you can actually pull it out by hand if you remove the filter (easily pulled off by hand as well- but that's expexted). The last thing I noticed was that rubber on the overflow outlet was starting to crack. After I paid premium price ($250) for a brand new "premium" fuel pump assembly, it's pretty cheap and discouraging to see that the rubber is starting to crack! Now, do all these flaws matter? I don't know... has anyone bought and used one of these pumps? Do they work as they should or do these flaws become problems?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

What I think I know is that the diesel motor takes a different fuel pump.  But I’m not clear on whether or not the size of the tank makes a difference in the pump or more specifically the sending unit frame and float.  Can anyone clarify that for me? I have a long bed with the larger tank - I think it’s in the neighborhood of 23 gallons.  If there is a thread that goes into detail on this please direct me there.  Thanks

Got it, but I wasn't clear that I have a 4.0l gas.

I sent my VIN to this ebay seller along with info about the truck (so they wouldn't be too confused!) like long bed, gas, largest tank and they replied saying that this unit is a fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392419963971?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=aede1b2b82794941ae2ddf1832e79667&bu=43122489261&osub=-1~1&crd=20210816123949&segname=11051&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

1 hour ago, ktmall07 said:

@scaleless, do you know if JPSU-6P4.0 will work in my 92? I'm not sure it will, because I know the ohm range on the renix senders if different than the HO, but I might as well ask :dunno: haha

I think it would fit and mostly work, but your problem is that 87-90 reads 0 - 90 Empty to full but 90+ (-96 for XJs) reads 90 - 0 (backwards).  You might be able to fit a 87-90 fuel guage in your cluster and use it, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that and I don't know as much about the HO system as Renix.  You can get products that can convert between different sender resistances and stuff but I don't know how good those are.

1 hour ago, jamespwsullivan said:

Got it, but I wasn't clear that I have a 4.0l gas.

I sent my VIN to this ebay seller along with info about the truck (so they wouldn't be too confused!) like long bed, gas, largest tank and they replied saying that this unit is a fit

87 - 90 sending units are all the same except for the diesel.  JPSU5 for the diesel and JPSU6 otherwise, so what you posted will work for your application.  Although I would personally get the sender without the pump and buy a Bosch pump from RockAuto.

Screenshot_20210816-201815_Firefox.jpg.4b8cc3067e66aeb1feb6d436557204d4.jpg

I'm pretty sure the MTS units ship with Airtex pumps which aren't very good.

I am now in the midst of replacing my tank (multiple pinholes) and fuel pump.  1989 Long Bed Comanche 4.0L.  My original tank was HUGE!  31 gallons.  3 Straps.  Ordered Rock Auto Spectra Premium tank P/N JP4B {#83502632}.  The original OEM P/N is shown as 83502632.  Sitting side by side on the floor, the new tank appears identical to my old one I took out.  Down in the bottom of the tank, there's a "anti slosh pan" tack-welded in place that is about 4" deep.  It is just large enough for the pickup screen and float arm to sit in the bottom and have room to work without touching the sides.  

All the new fuel pump/sending unit assemblies I have bought do not orient correctly so the screen and float arm fit in the pan.  I now have a new Delphi pump P/N FE0108 and CFE0108 in my hand and I am going to try to put it on my sending unit.  Stay tuned.

Comanche Fuel Pump.jpg

9 hours ago, jamespwsullivan said:

@scalelessThanks for the info.  Ordered the unit without the pump.  I was already planning on the Bosch but it's always good to have another opinion.

The direction (clock position) of the pickup screen and float arm will make-or-break your fit.  You need to view the bottom of the inside of your tank to see if the slosh-pan is present and if so, what clock position must your pickup screen and float arm point?

OK...Chapter 2...there's no way the Delphi pump would fit.  Even the inlet was a different diameter.  With a little research, I found a "Precision" brand pump at O'Reilly's and it is an exact replacement.  I'm not sure if it's rebuilt or new but it's going in.

Comanche Fuel Pump 2.jpg

Edited by bryancobb
picture

6 hours ago, scaleless said:

If you have a 30+ gallon tank, it's not original.  As for the strainer, I honestly can't remember what orientation it goes on.

Well, I know a few facts...I bought the truck in 2007 from the original owner.  He bought it new and had a Meyer snow plow put on it

immediately and it was used from 1989 till 2007 to plow the roads in his 200 unit mobile home community.  It only had 60,000 miles 

on it.  He would have had no reason to replace the tank with a larger one.

It may not be CALLED a 31 gallon tank, it may be called a 26 gallon tank or whatever but I physically poured in water 1 gallon at a time and it 

held 31.   Here's from Rock Auto's order page.  https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=17611&cc=1181674&pt=6268&jsn=2

capacities_2.png

1.jpg

after bryan.jpg

tank.jpg

@Bryan Cobb That’s really interesting. I have a new tank in a box in the attic. It came as a replacement for my 23.5 gallon tank. It’s not a Spectra. I’ll get it down and take a look at it.  Is it still easy for you to get the outside measurements - at least length and width - so I can compare that way.  Since I haven’t installed it yet I will also try the gallon by gallon test and see what I get.

I went to Pensacola yesterday and brought back a 1986 AMC Comanche parts truck with a GM 2.8 V-6.  I'll be back on my fuel pump/tank thread later today.  When I have enough posts to be taken off new member probation, I will start posting pieces of the parts truck that I don't need, for sale.  The body is superb and physical evidence indicates it has been parked since the late 80's, under a tarp and it's not rotten.  It's 4WD automatic.  I just got back home at 7:00 p.m. so better description will come later.