XJ Dana 44 Swap

I snagged a D44 from an XJ at a local pick and pull that I am going to swap into my Comanche. I was wondering how everyone was running the shock mounts and what u-bolt plates I can use (I forgot to grab the plates from the Cherokee). Are there any other issues that I need to worry about aside from relocating the spring perches and relocating the shock mounts?

Just so you are aware there are 4 different size wheel cylinders that will fit a XJ/MJ rear axle and they can be used to increase the rear braking power. Try it the way it is and upgrade later as needed.

This a great way to increase the braking power after a D44 front axle swap is done with it's larger brakes, or to match a WJ front brake upgrade.

Just so you are aware there are 4 different size wheel cylinders that will fit a XJ/MJ rear axle and they can be used to increase the rear braking power. Try it the way it is and upgrade later as needed.

This a great way to increase the braking power after a D44 front axle swap is done with it's larger brakes, or to match a WJ front brake upgrade.

Got specifics? I knew the D35 wheel cylinders were different from the D44 wheel cylinders, but that's only two.

Got specifics? I knew the D35 wheel cylinders were different from the D44 wheel cylinders, but that's only two.

Bendex# 33627 & 33628 = 7/8"

33004 & 33005 = 1"

33206 &33207 =1 1/8"

I believe there are at least 1 to 2 more sizes.

• 6 months later...

Getting ready to do this same swap myself and was wondering if anyone had any specs on the difference in U joints....driveshaft lengths.....spring perch specs/dimensions....etc.?

Mine's goin from an 87 xj 2 door automatic..(Dana 44)...into an 87 mj automatic longbed....(Dana 35).

I also have a tom woods shaft out of an 88 xj 4 door...5 speed rig and would like to use it if possible in my comanche build.

THANKS guys.....sorry to hijack but at least it's on topic!!!... :D

I am almost positive that unless you have a really long XJ you won't be able to use you TW shafts as it is... But most driveline shops will retube/lengthen it for less then a third of a new one

Also look for MJ jeff's build... we swapped a MJ d44 under his rig, but we went soa... pretty much the same thing. Just moving spring perches around