Auto vs. Manual Column Differences

I'm in the process of accumulating parts for my manual swap in the 91' around towner truck, and I've come upon a few questions I can't seem to answer reading the guides.  Thanks in advance

1. (column differences) I know the auto and manual columns are different regarding the key release with the auto lockout cable and manual without, but are they interchangeable?  Is it possible to convert an auto console shift column for use with a manual console shift truck?  I've found some info saying you can tie the lockout bar up and remove the cable entirely, does anyone have more info on that?  Same goes with altering or removing the steering wheel lock,  I'd rather it not try to lock up on me while driving because I missed something.  This is a casual weekends vehicle and I really don't need to have a wheel lock for any reason.

2. (computer and NSS) I'm searching for a 91 or 92 manual 4.0 computer, but once that's swapped in, do you still need to jump the NSS pins?  How did the factory bypass this originally? Is there a jumper harness on factory manual MJ's that I could get my hands on? Or does having the manual computer stop it from even looking for a NSS signal?  

I'd like to keep my column if at all possible as it's got tilt and cruise and has already had the wobbly bolts issue fixed, but I'd just like some more info.  

11 minutes ago, CaptainPatchy said:

Is it possible to convert an auto console shift column for use with a manual console shift truck?

Yes, that's what I'm running in mine, I disassemble the column and removed the park interlock but I Bet you could tie it up, just didn't want it to come loose and I'm stuck with a truck that won't shut off.

11 minutes ago, jdog said:

Yes, that's what I'm running in mine, I disassemble the column and removed the park interlock but I Bet you could tie it up, just didn't want it to come loose and I'm stuck with a truck that won't shut off.

Do you happen to have a link to a how-to for removing the interlock?  That sounds like exactly like what I'd like to do

2 minutes ago, jdog said:

I do not,  and I didn't take any pictures, I do have another auto column I can do for some pictures/write up but it wouldn't be till a weekend or two

It's gonna take me some time to get all the parts rounded up anyways, but I'd really appreciate that when you get a chance!

7 hours ago, scaleless said:

I just epoxied mine in the park position.  If Jdog makes a write-up I would do that instead, though.

Alright, so at least I know it can be done.  Did either of you do anything with the steering wheel lock mechanism?  I read one guy's account where it locked up on him leaving his driveway right after his manual swap (thankfully not on the road 5mins later!) and that made me nervous 

11 hours ago, scaleless said:

The mechanism locks when the key is in the off position and isn't related to the park interlock or anything, so you should he fine.

that's good to hear, what did you do about the computer in your swap?

57 minutes ago, CaptainPatchy said:

that's good to hear, what did you do about the computer in your swap?

I swapped to a manual computer only because I had one on hand.  I know on the Renix computers the only major difference is a higher idle on the auto computer, but I don't know much about the HO computers.

I may have a spare 91-92 manual computer in my parts pile. If you're interested I can dig thru and see if I can find it. It would have come from an XJ but they're interchangeable.

I had planned on getting a manual computer, I think any from a manual xj/mj will work through 95 or 96?

So I need to have:

Manual computer 

Ax15 w/external bellhousing 

Possibly manual crossmember

Mount for trans 

Verify pilot bearing size 

Clutch for my year(?) 

Flywheel for my 91

Master/Slave setup

Pedal setup 

Jump NSS

Wire in reverse switch 

I think that's everything right? 

Edited for clarity 

Edited by CaptainPatchy

1 hour ago, Tex06 said:

I may have a spare 91-92 manual computer in my parts pile. If you're interested I can dig thru and see if I can find it. It would have come from an XJ but they're interchangeable.

That would be great, does AC/cruise matter to the computer? 

1 hour ago, CaptainPatchy said:

That would be great, does AC/cruise matter to the computer? 

Not that I'm aware of. I didn't have cruise in my MJ originally and adding it was simply buying a GM stalk and pulling a cruise actuator from an XJ. Stupid simple install, took almost 15 minutes the first time (took about 3 hours the second b/c I decided to run the wire from the stalk down the column, which is a PITA...but it looks factory.)

1 hour ago, CaptainPatchy said:

I had planned on getting a manual computer, I think any from a manual xj/mj will work through 95 or 96?

So I need to have:

Manual computer 

Mount for trans 

Clutch for my year(?) 

Flywheel for my 91

Master/Slave setup

Pedal setup 

Jump NSS

Wire in reverse switch 

Edited for clarity 

-Buy the slave/master pre-bled set new off Amazon or Rockauto....don't try to use junkyard parts (ask me how I know).

-AX15 isn't hard to get, they can be found in junkyards for about $350 if they pull and send to you....or you can go to a pick and pull and possibly spend 2 hours on your back pulling a nasty greasy tranny and save $150-$200

-Wherever you get the tranny, snag the crossmember with it.

-Rubber mount. They're cheap and don't transmit vibrations like solid or poly will. You can always "upgrade" later if you so desire but for daily use rubber is best.

-Yeah, verify. I forget the cutoff but if you get your transmission from a '94 XJ (I did), just get everything to match that (clutch, slave/master cylinder setup, etc)

-Flywheel, not sure on this. I bought a new '92 one and still have a little chatter on engage. Doesn't bother me.

-M/S - already covered

-Pedals....ask Pete. I delivered a set to him a few months back from Louisiana. I believe they're the same from Renix and H.O. years

-Jump NSS....no idea, didn't have this issue

-Wire in reverse switch- again didn't have to do but I think the wire is already there and just connects on the tranny.....I think. Both auto and manual transmission have them so it would make sense if the wire worked for both. 

59 minutes ago, Tex06 said:

-Wherever you get the tranny, snag the crossmember with it.

The p.o. had the transmission by itself and included that and a pedal set in the sale when I bought the truck.  So I'm unfortunately trying to piece it all together without the benefit of a donor rig to pull from.  Thank you for answering, that sounds pretty close to what I had been planning 

On 5/12/2021 at 2:45 PM, scaleless said:

Is the mount adapter still bolted to the transmission? 

I don't believe so.  I need to get the model # and find out where it came from to begin with.  It's an internal slave model I was going to convert 

edit: I put out some feelers to see if anyone has one available for sale.  I checked ebay and whatnot, and you're right they seem very scarce.  If I can't find anything I suppose I'll have to fabricate something myself but idk.

14 hours ago, CaptainPatchy said:

I don't believe so.  I need to get the model # and find out where it came from to begin with.  It's an external slave model I was going to convert 

edit: I put out some feelers to see if anyone has one available for sale.  I checked ebay and whatnot, and you're right they seem very scarce.  If I can't find anything I suppose I'll have to fabricate something myself but idk.

Best bet would be your local u-pull-it. Call and see if they have any manual Cherokees from the 90s

On 5/12/2021 at 10:29 AM, CaptainPatchy said:

So I need to have:

Manual computer 

Mount for trans 

Clutch for my year(?) 

Flywheel for my 91

Master/Slave setup

Pedal setup 

Jump NSS

Wire in reverse switch 

Edited for clarity 

or do what I am doing is get a manual xj and swap everything then part it out

9 hours ago, CaptainPatchy said:

If I had the room to strip a vehicle I would, but I'm unfortunately not in that position right now 

thats a good reason not to. The nice thing is usually you at least break even on parts cars so thats why I am doing it