302 or 347 in a COMANCHE???

Just what the title implies to make this a fun weekend short cruise/RACE truck on the dirt oval....

PLEASE PLEASE leave some feedback...already have the engine and mounts figured out

E30106FD-6B06-4265-B877-772DC70A9E8C.png

Should fit fine.  It'll require some custom work, like coolant hoses and exhaust.  Wiring will take a bit of effort but it isn't rocket surgery.

Carb or EFI?

What transmission?

2wd or 4wd?

Just now, derf said:

Should fit fine.  It'll require some custom work, like coolant hoses and exhaust.  Wiring will take a bit of effort but it isn't rocket surgery.

Carb or EFI?

What transmission?

2wd or 4wd?

Exactly shouldn't be too bad since I can make all interior custom also.  But thinking staying with carb setup, as well as a T5, manual or AOD auto.  But also going to keep 4x4 setup in case I want it in the future.  This truck still has the 4.0, auto, and t-case.  But will have to switch them since the wiring is sliced and control modules gone.  Just want something simple to play around with when I'm bored.  Feel free to chime in on any ideas, because It'll happen once I get my paint job done on my pioneer.

An AX15 is a better trans than the T5.  It's stronger and good for a small block V8.

Adapting the transfer case to the trans will take some work if you stay with the T5.  An AX15 from a Jeep just needs a bellhousing for the Ford.

If you go with a Ford automatic you can get something like an F150 donor and keep the engine/trans/tcase combo.

20 minutes ago, derf said:

An AX15 is a better trans than the T5.  It's stronger and good for a small block V8.

Adapting the transfer case to the trans will take some work if you stay with the T5.  An AX15 from a Jeep just needs a bellhousing for the Ford.

If you go with a Ford automatic you can get something like an F150 donor and keep the engine/trans/tcase combo.

:yeahthat:

Here are some more options and info:

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/engine-to-transmission/ford/windsor-v8/kit-fmax15/

11 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I’d recommend efi, grab an adapter for an ax15 and throw in a Jeep transfer case. 

Already have the transfer case so it'd be a no-brainer.

11 hours ago, derf said:

I already have the t-case and engine, I'd just need a bellhousing adapter and the AX15.  May be easier to go that route for sure.

I had a 302 I had envisioned installing in my MJ at one time. It should fit really well honestly. Front distributor makes firewall clearance a little easier than a Chevy and the short deck height makes hood clearance easy as well. Curious to see how it goes for you.

8 hours ago, Jtrux said:

I had a 302 I had envisioned installing in my MJ at one time. It should fit really well honestly. Front distributor makes firewall clearance a little easier than a Chevy and the short deck height makes hood clearance easy as well. Curious to see how it goes for you.

That short deck height is nice. The I6 is a pretty tall engine. Makes me think a Diesel engine would be a real possibility.