JEEPERZ MJ

just remind her of that ring on her finger and then ask what did you get in return? at least that is what I tell my wife but I think she has been adding the prices on all the parts, :cry: so soon I will be out of excusses. But you have a nice looking rig :cheers:

thanks man, don't let her add em up, distract her with shopping or something :cheers:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yesterday, i put the trackbar on and the sway bar drop brackets. rustys adj track bar is a POS :headpop: i can't get the pin back in the castle nut. there is just no way. i even over tightened it and it won't go in. I'm going heavy duty like this

tb20001ik9.jpg

when i over tightened it, i stripped the castle nut. its installed with a new nut, but i don't have the pin in it. so i jumped on the freeway to check things out last night, and of course i have death wobble, not necessarily the trackbar, but just post lift stuff still to do. i have an appointment next week to extend the d/s and do new u-joints. i also need to get it aligned still and need to extend the brake lines. its amazing how much ive learned doing this myself. can't wait til I'm done with the lift stuff so i can start searching for a d44, maybe i should have done that first :D

well, thanks to a post from gogetemturbo, i scored my self some bucket seats out of a 86 2wd mj. should bolt right in i think. first I'm taking em in to get some new foam and fabric put on though

photocq0.jpg

didnt work on the truck as much as i thought i would this weekend, but soon.

don't bother paying for new upholstry...get a set of seats from a 2wd cherokee that are in good shape and the same color. I think I pay at most $30 a set for just the seats...they're worthless to the junkyards now b/c they're so old, and there's almost no metal content in them

Looks good

Don’t fool with a "band Aid" fix on the drive shaft just get it re-tube to the right length I had mine done and it was only $70.00 that’s new tube that was much thicker and balanced.

Besure you get a YJ yoke so you don't bind the drive shaft when drooped... It would suck to ruin a good driveline.

Looks good

Don’t fool with a "band Aid" fix on the drive shaft just get it re-tube to the right length I had mine done and it was only $70.00 that’s new tube that was much thicker and balanced.

agreed. i plan on getting my drive shaft worked over. i do however want to change the slip yoke to the yj.

on another note, i took my mj to a place to get aligned. I'm waiting for it to get done when the guy comes in and says "do you have radiator problems?" so i went out to the garage and antifreeze was pouring out of the radiator. i guess they took the truck around the block to see if it needed aligned??? when they got back the radiator had a huge hole in it.

ive never been to the shop before, so i don't know anything about them. i have never had problems with the radiator and its only 4 months old. what the hell? :headpop:

the question would be if the MJ can be move or do they got over a barrel cause the could charge you for a stowage fee until it is moved. you can state that this was not like this when i have brought it here and inform them you are registering a complaint to the BBB. :mad: again its your word vs the shop where your Jeep is at

I would tell them NO, I don't. and blame it on them.

does the hole look like a puncture or a corrosion? if it looks like a puncture, then it's something that theyve done to it most likely

i ordered a new radiator from kragen last night for $150.00 ill be pulling out the radiator in about an hour, so I'm going to go over it with a fine toothed comb to try and figure out what caused it.

the question would be if the MJ can be move or do they got over a barrel cause the could charge you for a stowage fee until it is moved. you can state that this was not like this when i have brought it here and inform them you are registering a complaint to the BBB. :mad: again its your word vs the shop where your Jeep is at

this is what i was thinking, what would i have done if i didnt live 6 blockes away. they would have had me over the barrel. overall it just sucks that i went there for a alignment and then the radiator??

lets say that the quy was just driving it around the block and he was honest, what would cause a hole in the radiator that big in just a short time???????

I used to work in shop andI replaceda fuel pump in a chevy S10 blazer. I set it down off the hoist fired it up and drove from the shop down to a small park a block away. Parked in front of my bay door and left it running to make sure all was well. Ten minutes later we look out and it is streaming antifreeze out of the tank of the radiator. Customer was way upset but we did nothing to it. It was jut a case of bad timing as the side tank of the radiator already had a hairline crack in it and decided to give up while we had it. Customer called us everything but white men. It sucked but what do you do.

I used to work in shop andI replaceda fuel pump in a chevy S10 blazer. I set it down off the hoist fired it up and drove from the shop down to a small park a block away. Parked in front of my bay door and left it running to make sure all was well. Ten minutes later we look out and it is streaming antifreeze out of the tank of the radiator. Customer was way upset but we did nothing to it. It was jut a case of bad as the side tank of the radiator already had a hairline crack in it and decided to give up while we had it. Customer called us everything but white men. It sucked but what do you do.

we've had a radiator randomly blow up just like that before, wheelin' crawlin at like 180* and the rad. let go just split down the side for no reason.

they're testy creatures radiators are.

Plus trying to tell shop they did something to it or calling the BBB just makes you a whistle blower. Plus in shop I worked in it just gave us something to laugh at when the customer is standing there flappin their arms and yelling. It just kills me how some people think shops are just out there to screw people. Not sayin all are honest but the old saying of 1 customer a 1000 times rather 1000 customers 1 time holds in every business. The shop worked in had a good rep for being honest and fair. I still treat my customers in my shop the same. I will not tell you need something done to your car that another shop would not agree with or find the same problem.

I used to work in shop andI replaceda fuel pump in a chevy S10 blazer. I set it down off the hoist fired it up and drove from the shop down to a small park a block away. Parked in front of my bay door and left it running to make sure all was well. Ten minutes later we look out and it is streaming antifreeze out of the tank of the radiator. Customer was way upset but we did nothing to it. It was jut a case of bad as the side tank of the radiator already had a hairline crack in it and decided to give up while we had it. Customer called us everything but white men. It sucked but what do you do.

yea, i came to the conclusion it wasnt the shop. when i pulled the radiator off, it has been hitting the fan. i believe when it has death wobble. not sure how else it could have happened.

Ive decided to take it back to them for the alignment. i can see that they were not at fault. I'm sure he was trying to recreate the death wobble i told him about. when he did, all hell probly broke loose and punctured the radiator. the front of the fan is awfully close to the radiator

photo1ec3.jpg

here is the hole caused by the front of the fan.

I'm sure they were being straight now that i got the radiator off and can see what is going on.

ill be getting it aligned tomorrow, as well as putting in the buckets and working on the e-brake extension bracket.

• 2 weeks later...

its been awhile since ive posted, but the work hasnt stopped. mostly just trying to figure stuff out. i got the mj aligned and still have death wobble, so ive been trying to figure that one out. ive discovered the tie rod ends are shot, all of them! so i ve ordered new ones which should be in on monday. i was thinking about going with a heavier duty system, but the funds don't agree with me at this time. so thats that.

the next thing is i bought a angle finder to check castor. I'm at about 12* right now. so this morning i ordered new adj upper control arms. while i was at it, i also ordered the bracket from rocky road to move the sway bar bracket forward about an inch.

I'm getting there, but the road is long. can't wait to get this death wobble gone. between the caster angle and the tie rods, i may have it worked out. jamminz.gifjamminz.gif then get new tires and start working on my bucket seats. being a newbie is a tuff road, if it wasnt for this forum i would have spent alot more money and not had near as much fun. thanks again everyone jamminz.gif

its been awhile since ive posted, but the work hasnt stopped. mostly just trying to figure stuff out. i got the mj aligned and still have death wobble, so ive been trying to figure that one out. ive discovered the tie rod ends are shot, all of them! so i ve ordered new ones which should be in on monday. i was thinking about going with a heavier duty system, but the funds don't agree with me at this time. so thats that.

the next thing is i bought a angle finder to check castor. I'm at about 12* right now. so this morning i ordered new adj upper control arms. while i was at it, i also ordered the bracket from rocky road to move the sway bar bracket forward about an inch.

I'm getting there, but the road is long. can't wait to get this death wobble gone. between the caster angle and the tie rods, i may have it worked out. jamminz.gifjamminz.gif then get new tires and start working on my bucket seats. being a newbie is a tuff road, if it wasnt for this forum i would have spent alot more money and not had near as much fun. thanks again everyone jamminz.gif

Part of an alignment is checking for worn out parts, so if the tie rods are shot I would go show them. If they missed them they should redo your alignment after the parts are replaced. They should have told you the tie rod ends were worn out and aligning it would be a waste of money until the worn parts are replaced...

If it was aligned with worn out parts the alignment was off as soon as the moved your rig....

Part of an alignment is checking for worn out parts, so if the tie rods are shot I would go show them. If they missed them they should redo your alignment after the parts are replaced. They should have told you the tie rod ends were worn out and aligning it would be a waste of money until the worn parts are replaced...

If it was aligned with worn out parts the alignment was off as soon as the moved your rig....

i remember when i walked out of there, he said "being this is jacked up, we won't warrenty the alignment."

that same thought crossed my mind, it doesnt make any sense why they wouldnt let me know things were bad. I'm no expert by any means, but when i grab a tie rod and i can move it in and out with my hand, something is wrong. ill ask him about it when i go in again, if they arent willing to work with me, then ill take it somewhere else. thanks for the heads up :cheers:

They should have inspected the steering, suspension,tires and air pressure prior to preforming an alignment. This is the first step that should be done. At that point they should have told you about any worn parts or problems they found.

As a ex-certified tech and having been a service writer I can tell you that you should have been notified about the worn parts and given an estimate for the parts and labor that need replacement before an alignment could be performed. If you didn't want the repairs done. They should have just charged you for an inspection and told you they couldn't do an alignment due to the worn parts.

IMO they didn't do the inspection and shouldn't have performed an alignment. It should tell you a thing or two about that shop.

Alway ask for a before and after print out of the alignment angles. If they won't do this go somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

i havnt posted in awhile, waiting for parts and rain to stop. I got my new HD track bar mount and new upper control arms. last night i put both of them on. took it for a drive and no death wobble!!!!!!! jamminz.gif

between changing the caster agle, new TRE's thoughout, alignment i think I'm good. the weird thing with the caster angle is one side is different than the other by about 1 1/2 to 2 degrees. I'm thinking this may be because of the rubber bushings on the axle for the UCA's are rotten and almost falling out. any thoughts??? my caster angle is still at about 8 degrees, so i may work on it a bit, when i change out the bushings.

now I'm on to the drive shaft and u-joints. ive never messed with u joints before so this should be interesting. i went to the dealer today and paid way to much for the yj slip yoke pictured below, but i just wanted to get started right away. i think i may go buy a vise as well, sounds a whole lot easier with one for the u joints.

I'm getting there, its a slow road, but a fun one, can't wait to go wheelin jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

photojc2.jpg

jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

• 2 weeks later...

got the drive shaft extended the other day and installed. i found a place in compton that does nothing but drive shafts and diffs, really cool guy in there. he ended up selling me a yj slip yoke that he had in stock for half the price of the dealer one i bought. i put spicer joints on it. i ended up extending the drive shaft by 1 5/8"

I am now death wobble free!!!! i can't believe all the parts i have changed out. the only thing i havnt done in the front end are the ball joints and wheel bearings. if i still had death wobble, that would be my next project. my steering is super tight now and feels great, what a pleasure to drive.

i still get nervous driving on the freeway, i think ive got post tramatic death wobble syndrome. now I'm ready for new tires. i may be getting some for christmas :brows: ive been putting out the hints heavy enough, if i don't ill just get some anyway, but next month.

got the new (old seats) put in today. had to shim the drivers side to level it out though. passenger side was fine. weird. i have so much work still on the interior. i need to get new carpet still and also want to seal the floor boards. i only have a little rust right where the front inner bolt is for the seats. i think its just surface rust though. i also installed a new back carpeted panel, no picture though, started to get dark on me. i also put the e-brake extension on, ive been putting that off way to long but needed to get it done before i go wheelin. i just need to get the the bolt on soa bolts cut down, i tried with a sawzall, but that was a joke. i went through 4 metal blades and only made it 1/2 way through 1 bolt. i think ill try and angle grinder with a cut off wheel. any suggestions on that.?? oh yea, new seat covers :D had to ditch the new upholstery idea due to lack of funds.

photo1jy5.jpg