Seat belt ???

Are original MJ belts inertia reel or pendulum lock type ? I thought I read somewhere that oem were side specific; after markets seem to be interchangeable side to side .

Trying to determine if my oems are still usable or should be replaced . Quick yanks on belts don't lock either side. Would parking on a steep down slope allow gravity to simulate a sudden stop ? Any ideas other than hitting the proverbial immoveable object would be welcomed.

Mark

Jeep uses pendulum belts. Yanking won't test them. Just make sure they are clean. Blow out the mechanism. Seat belt mechanisms are very reliable. Way to test is drive at around 15mph and slam your brakes on, Pendulum should lock the seatbelt and stop it moving.

Thanks Limey, I guess my mind isn't totally gone. The panic stop trick is something I will try. And Pete, I'm waiting on info from Jeg's on universal belts; US made, good price.

Mark

• 2 years later...

The two door XJ seatbelt is longer/shorter than the MJ - can't remember exact dimensions but it was a little close for comfort so on mine measured the old belt and bought one that was as close as possible - Chinesium unit off of Amazon.

On the bench seat the china unit was almost too short on the female side and had to modify the bracket for the retractor to bolt up properly and still not interfere with trim panel.

I have a 2 door Cherokee will have to look at that again to see the difference but think the retractor mount is on the floor on the Cherokee & on the MJ it's about half way down the pillar.