89 LWB-OR-$15,000

I bought this long bed Renix 4.0 5 speed Comanche almost 10 years ago and I believe I am the third owner as I got it after someone inherited it and had no need for a mid-sized 4x4 pickup.

It ran fine and was generally in good overall condition, but the floor was starting to rust through in a couple of places and there were some minor dents, dings and scratches. The paint was faded with peeling clear coat, so I decided to restore the body. We stripped it down to bare metal, replaced the floor pans, treated it with POR-15, painted it a slightly darker shade of blue and sprayed the inside of the bed with black liner. The rear quarters were trimmed for a better departure angle.

I was able to locate a canopy off another Comanche from a wrecking yard. After we restored the body, an OR-FAB front bumper with a steering box frame re-enforcement and Warn 8000 winch were installed up front and a Hanson bumper with a built-in hitch receiver out back. Rocky Road sliders protect the sides.

The front Dana 30 was rebuilt with new axle shafts and re-geared to 4.88s. An ARB air locker was installed and we removed the vacuum disconnect. The rear Dana 35 was discarded and replaced with a rebuilt Dana 44 from a Metric Ton Comanche that was also re-geared to 4.88 and treated to an ARB air locker. The transfer case has a slip yoke eliminator and is connected to the rear axle with a custom drive shaft.

My plan was to lift the Comanche to clear up to 35" diameter tires, so we did a spring over axle lift on the rear and a 6" TNT 3 link conversion up front with JKS quick sway link disconnects and upgraded steering components. I installed a take-off set of JK Rubicon wheels and tires, which are around 31" tall, so there is quite a bit of room for bigger tires, although I never felt the need to go larger.

A dual cylinder ARB air compressor was fitted under the hood to engage the lockers and air up the tires. This is managed by a Switch-Pro with lighted buttons on the dash that also control the Rigid LED driving and fog lights. There are three unused buttons on the Switch-Pro that can be used for additional accessories. The head lights were updated to high intensity units with an extra fuse panel and relay to protect the headlight switch. An ARB Safari snorkel was added just because.

The bench seat interior is intact, but there is a tear on the driver-side. The door cards are in good condition and the headliner is in place, but needs to be recovered. The rear sliding window works and the windshield has a minor crack as, does the dash.

It starts, runs, shifts and drives fine on the highway and the transfer case and lockers are awesome off-road. The clutch was replaced recently and could stand to be bled again. This Comanche was built right with the best parts and accessories I could find. If you want to test it, have cash in hand.

It seems to have a lot of the right parts, but it seems like all of the money and the pictures leave a little to be desired.

00r0r_hT9aFGELoXsz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg.d27f1fcb60485e481d51e3552b6a806d.jpg

VIN: 1J7FJ26L4KL412957