4wd Conversion: Whole Vehicle for Parts

Which year(s) of xj would be the best for a 4WD conversion? I know that there’s issues with the front axle pinion and CAD. I’m also wondering about the transfer case and transmission control, all of that. I know I can buy all of the stuff piece by piece, but I’d prefer to buy a whole xj/mj and convert without cutting into the electronics of my pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The easiest swap would be parts from an XJ/MJ of the same year as your truck but pretty much any year XJ 4x4 equipment can be swapped in to make the best swap, you just have to make some changes but these things are like Lego and you can mix and match pretty much everything.  Really the best setup is just avoiding the disconnect and low pinion D30, everything else is pretty much the same other than maybe swapping your rear axle assuming it's a D35.  You could also use a 242 transfer case if you want full time 4x4 but that's more of a preference thing.

This is your opportunity to change gear ratios if you'd like to run bigger tires.  Your front and rear ratios need to match so be sure that you swap the front and rear axles together or find a front axle with the same ratio as the rear that's in your truck.  There were a few different gear ratios found in the XJ/MJs so find one with a lower gear ratio if you can and want the bigger tires.

Personally I'd grab a 97+ XJ for the swap because it has the really good C8.25 rear axle, the high pinion D30 front axle without any disconnect crap, the front driveshaft, and the transfer case and it's linkage will swap over.  Swap your sensors over and all you'll have to buy otherwise is a rear driveshaft because the XJs is too short.

The easiest swap would be parts from an XJ/MJ of the same year as your truck but pretty much any year XJ 4x4 equipment can be swapped in to make the best swap, you just have to make some changes but these things are like Lego and you can mix and match pretty much everything.  Really the best setup is just avoiding the disconnect and low pinion D30, everything else is pretty much the same other than maybe swapping your rear axle assuming it's a D35.  You could also use a 242 transfer case if you want full time 4x4 but that's more of a preference thing.

This is your opportunity to change gear ratios if you'd like to run bigger tires.  Your front and rear ratios need to match so be sure that you swap the front and rear axles together or find a front axle with the same ratio as the rear that's in your truck.  There were a few different gear ratios found in the XJ/MJs so find one with a lower gear ratio if you can and want the bigger tires.

Personally I'd grab a 97+ XJ for the swap because it has the really good C8.25 rear axle, the high pinion D30 front axle without any disconnect crap, the front driveshaft, and the transfer case and it's linkage will swap over.  Swap your sensors over and all you'll have to buy otherwise is a rear driveshaft because the XJs is too short.

Alright good to know! I just wanted to ask because I’ve got potential access to 4 different cherokees from different years. There’s a 91 for 1500, a 92 for 500, an unknown one that my dads coworker is looking at, and finally another unknown one that I’m not sure about, but it’s being sold for 300. All I can tell is that it’s between 88 and 96.

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer
4.0 Liter w/ AW4 2WD