Drop Bracket v. Long Arm

Hey guys, how will this drop bracket system work for off roadin vs. long arm? I am guessing it is a 3 to 4 inch lift and its sitting on 31" tires. Right now I am doing a 4x4 conversion and in the spring I am doing a 4.0 swap. The goal is, is to have a 6 inch lift with SOA and new coils in the front prolly with spacers. Let me know what you think. (don't worry I now have 3 ton jackstands jamminz.gif )

Drop bracket

Image Not Found

How the truck sits

Image Not Found

Lots of people run DB's here on the board, if you search around you will find post's on it. I think the general consenses is, Long arms if you can afford it, DB's work fine if you can't. I am considering a set till I can figure out which LA setup I want.

A SOA in the rear with a D35 will net you closer to 5", give or take. A D44 will bring you closer to 6". If you search my project post on mine, you can see pics of a SOA with a D35, stock leaves and shackles.

Truck looks good, lots of work ahead, hang in there. :cheers:

youre gonna tare the SH*T outta the frame if you wheel with that.

DB's are designed for cherokees with the cherokee reinforcement bracket. there is not a reinforcement bracket built for comanches.

I highly suggest that you fabricate one to go from the DB backwards a bit...otherwise, like I say, you're libel to wreck the unibody frame on your rig.

I don't have anything against them really, I want to put one on my xj. it's just that there's only 2 bolts holding it to the frame (maybe 4 if you use the spacer bolts), and that's too much stress either way on the frame without reinforcements.

I have them, I wheel them, I have no problems. I do drag them on rocks more than I really like, but I haven't gotten hung up on them, yet.

Jeepco dosen't have them, dosen't wheel them and on this topic, dosen't know what he is talking about. ;)

Not meant as a flame, but if you want...I'll dance.

:cheers:

This has been BEAT TO DEATH. Rob is spot on, get the long arms if your budget allows other wise the DBs are just fine.

CW

CW, I completely understand what you're saying...

BUT

you give yourself 4 mounting points for each side on your frame, you are DEFINITELY gonna cause higher stress and most likely wreck the hardware, the mounts, or the frame.

when it comes to rinforcement, I know what I'm talking about. yeah, you can get by without the reinforcement brackets, but sooner or later you're gonna have frame troubles. laws fo physics..apply enough force on something, it will break. apply enough force on something that's got some reinforcement, it will take more to break it.

and yeah, I'm in a bad mood, and I'm willin to dance too.

DB's are designed for cherokees with the cherokee reinforcement bracket. there is not a reinforcement bracket built for comanches.

RE states that the MJ is already renforced and the XJ bracket is not needed???

yep.

it's stronger than an xj mount.

but so far as not needed...think of it this way. you've added a pivotal (a lever essentially) by adding the drop bracket setup. it sits down lower than ever intended by factory, and a hard enough impact on the engine could potentially push back on the LCA mount and either A. destroy the DB, B. destroy the hardware, or C. destroy the frame. I am suggesting here to take precautionary measures and be sure you're not going to put yourself in a position where you can injure yourself or your vehicle, and where you don't get stranded.

as for my pissed comment, to be clear, no, CW, I'm not angry about your statement. it's about other things. I just want to be certain that no one is going to be in danger because of anything stupid

Hey guys thanks for the advice but maybe I should have said that I don't intend on doing any moab type wheeling, just some medium type crawls over afew rocks. Maybe one day i will advance to the hard crap but for right now I am still a novice and need to build my experiance. I like the comanche club because it lacks the attitued of other sights. I felt like a complete a$$ for asking the same question at other sites. Thanks for all the opinions. :cheers:

Hey guys thanks for the advice but maybe I should have said that I don't intend on doing any moab type wheeling, just some medium type crawls over afew rocks. Maybe one day i will advance to the hard crap but for right now I am still a novice and need to build my experiance. I like the comanche club because it lacks the attitued of other sights. I felt like a complete a$$ for asking the same question at other sites. Thanks for all the opinions. :cheers:

Ridenlow12

No problem, this is what the site is for...ASK QUESTIONS.

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today ;) This site is not like other Jeep sites where you see this all the time.

The DB's are a great choice for the price and I plan to get them on the MJ & XJ some day. As you see everyone that has posted that has them is happy with them.

Yes, you could take a hard hit and do damage..... But you are going to have a lot more problems then the DB's with that type of hit :cheers:

I ran RE DB's on Pong for a lil over a yrs.... Ran Tellico with them :eek: Had no issues :brows: Then I sold them for what I had in them... and Josh kept them for a yr or so.. and then he sold them for the same price :nuts: I wish I would have never sold them.

By the way this was with stock upper and lower control arms :eek: and 61/2" of lift. They flex great, ride great. I didnt have the reinforcement brackets on them.. and I HAD no issues with any thing on Pongs frame, or holes elongating.

The worst thing that ever happened to that setup was I bent a LCA.. my solution was to buy some 1/8 plate and weld up the bottoms.. and that made it work so much better.... casue after that.. they never got hung up :brows: Making me think.. everything under my rig either has to be a skid or a ramp :D