1989 jeep comanche pioneer 2 wheel drive steering gearbox where to purchase ? I need suggestions !

On 2/11/2021 at 7:39 AM, Mel said:

Having owned and wheeled several ZJs and still have one with 35s I've never had a problem with the steering box.... It turns way easier than my MJ with 31s

So I have to ask is the ZJ steering box a direct bolt in on the MJ? I might want to do this if it gives you better steering.

Bolt-in. The box is exactly the same, the only difference is the MJ box has a 14:1 ratio and the ZJ box has a 12.7:1 ratio.

I swapped a ZJ box into a 2001 XJ that needed a box. On the road (on 235/75-15 tires) it drove exactly the same as my 2000 XJ. In parking maneuvers, the ZJ box is 3 turns lock-to-lock and the XJ/MJ box is 3-1/2 turns lock-to-lock. I don't regard it as an improvement or an "upgrade," but it is a viable swap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 9:30 PM, cruiser54 said:

Gee, all those guys out there wheeling their Grand Cherokees with the stock steering box.......how do they do it? 

Who here has converted from XJ to ZJ box and speaks from hands-on experience? 

Besides me. 

Cruiser i have been away for long time but ive read  every post youve put out  and i feel  as if i know you ! and I do  but behind the lines i side  with you !! But as far as the gear box i only have  2 wheel drive and  as long as its  cjeap enough and  works as long as this  original did I'm  ok with it ! I do do  4 wheeling in  a 2 wheel drive  comanche because   its  a comanche  its possible  halol thanks  cruiser

50 minutes ago, jrwhite3230 said:

where do i purchase  a  Zj box and is it the three bolt setup  will it fit ??also  Price how much you think it would  cost me  roughly ? 

Did you read the previous posts? The ZJ box is exactly the same box as the XJ/MJ box. The only difference is the ratio.

5 hours ago, BeatCJ said:

My understanding is that it is also boosted less, so it significantly improves road/steering feel. The physical box is the same.

The late model XJ boxes are also much better for road feel than the early ones.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 9:30 PM, cruiser54 said:

Gee, all those guys out there wheeling their Grand Cherokees with the stock steering box.......how do they do it? 

Who here has converted from XJ to ZJ box and speaks from hands-on experience? 

Besides me. 

Well said cruiser  no punn intended towards these other guys on experience but Seems there is no finality and no middle ground and the question doesnt get answered !  But also  I'm just looking for the best quality gear box  for my comanche  basic Oem as close to manufacturer quality as possible meaning  quality seals bearings  ect !! 

On 1/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, 89 MJ said:

What are you going to use the truck for? This information can help us inform you. If you want a performance truck, get a ZJ steering box, otherwise, just get a Lares or Red Head box.

standard basic stock  truck  2wdrv 4.0 6cyl  just looking to stay with the  oem as possible  not  wanting to  have to replace ever  again  I'm 60 yrs old  purchased this truck in  1989 ill die owning this truck !   But it will  live beyond my time !!

On 3/4/2021 at 9:55 PM, jrwhite3230 said:

Well said cruiser  no punn intended towards these other guys on experience but Seems there is no finality and no middle ground and the question doesnt get answered !  But also  I'm just looking for the best quality gear box  for my comanche  basic Oem as close to manufacturer quality as possible meaning  quality seals bearings  ect !! 

If you want quality, skip right over the parts house remanufactured boxes and go to Borgeson Steering. But -- be sure your checkbook is primed.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1792&cat=0&featured=Y