4.0 cheap stroker

I'd agree.  A stroker only makes sense when you're already rebuilding the engine.  Especially if you're doing an over bore and have to buy pistons anyway.  The incremental cost for the crank and the right pistons is small compared to the rest of the rebuild.

But if you have an already good engine, a stroker is a big expense.

I am planning an inexpensive stroker build when it's time for me to rebuild the engine.  And that's on the near horizon for my XJ as I'm getting a rod knock.  But my MJ engine is running fine so I'm going to leave it for a while.

3 hours ago, Jesse J said:

Yeah exactly I'm already gonna pay a machine shop might as well have them balance a new crank while I'm at it

If you scrap the idea that the 12cw is what you need then you can make the process a bit easier. But there is a lot involved still

4 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

If you scrap the idea that the 12cw is what you need then you can make the process a bit easier. But there is a lot involved still

yeah Idk lots of options. it's gonna be a while before I do anything. my odo needs to say 400,000 before I do

3 minutes ago, Car Enthusiast said:

I second talking to Russ Potenger. He walked my through my 4.7 build from the start. Jeepstroker.com is also a good site to read through. I have over 20k miles on mine. 

:yeahthat: Russ does some amazing work (best I’ve seen in the Jeep world) and can get you everything you need for a good price. Or he can build you a whole stroker engine. I’d put his builds above Hesco and Golen any day. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ghetdjc320 said:

What are your referring to? The 12cw went the way of the dinosaur and was replaced by the 4cw. 

well for the 4.2 crank the earlier ones had 12cw but those don't drop in like the later ones with lets cws because there is some modification right?

8 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

well for the 4.2 crank the earlier ones had 12cw but those don't drop in like the later ones with lets cws because there is some modification right?

It was a few years that they ran the 12cw. The snouts on all pre 87 cranks are too long and need to either be cut down or have a spacer added to the crank. Just because they are rare doesn’t mean they are better though. A new scat crank will perform very well indeed as will the 87-90 YJ 4.2 crank. Let us know when you actually start building one though. Otherwise this is just theoretical.  

Just now, ghetdjc320 said:

It was a few years that they ran the 12cw. The snouts on all pre 87 cranks are too long and need to either be cut down or have a spacer added to the crank. Just because they are rare doesn’t mean they are better though. A new scat crank will perform very well indeed as will the 87-90 YJ 4.2 crank. Let us know when you actually start building one though. Otherwise this is just theoretical.  

ok. just eagle said probably would be better to go with a 12cw crank for better low end torque. and yes this is purely hypothetical because it is easy to change the plan now not when my engine is in pieces