CV axleshafts?

I got a set of CV axleshafts from TNT that I want to keep around as my offroad spares (yeah yeah...)

what's the deficiency of the CV axleshaft? I've been told they perform great with no wheel hop etc. and am just doing followup research.

next...can you get new CV boots for them? both of these are torn...

where would I get the boots from? I found a "replacement set" on ebay but it has a cut in the side to slip on easily...I don't want that...and it's $25 for one that's too much.

I'm not sure where to get replacement stuff for trucks, i would try A-1 driveshaft out of Milwaukee. they should be in the phone book, if not let me know.

where would I get the boots from? I found a "replacement set" on ebay but it has a cut in the side to slip on easily...I don't want that...and it's $25 for one that's too much.

I'm not sure where to get replacement stuff for trucks, i would try A-1 driveshaft out of Milwaukee. they should be in the phone book, if not let me know.

K.

oh, Wade, reading your sig...nice on the mpg. I got 23mpg with the xj on premium...19 on regular. that's all highway but it don't help that I have to run 2800rpm to go 55mph. if I run 45mph all the way, I can get 22mpg on regular :brows:

can't wait to lift the 3800 now...def. goin with a TNT longarm, your 4.5" rear springs probably, and 5.5" front lift. also have 4.10 dana 30 front axle I'm building, and will be picking up my ford 8.8 rear in the next couple weeks...going to build all the axles and set them to the side, then save up for the lift.

• 3 weeks later...

The early CV axles are crap, BUT the ZJ ones for the V8s are an upgrade and the boots are available at NAPA (I work there) as well as refurbed axles.

I am going to put ZJ knuckles and brakes on the front of my '87 at the same time that I do the axle swap. I'll be running a 4.6L stroker with AW4/NV242 in a shortbed (need a fixed yoke swap later for driveshaft angle fixing)

I don’t know why everyone assumes the cv shafts are week?

I am referring to the ZJ shafts; they look to be as strong as or stronger than the u-joint shafts and offer smooth operation. Unless I read manufacture specs that showed they were weaker by some margin I will assume they are same strength or stronger.

One of my wheeling buddy’s runs them in his XJ after blowing two 760 joint shafts and has not blown one cv shaft yet so I think they are a good option/upgrade

He got new boots at Oreillys auto parts they ran $8.00 each.

I plan to pick up a couple soon and run them myself.