Control Arm Bushings

All my upper and lower control arm bushings are shot. Does anyone recommend a specific brand or does it matter? Also, is this a job I could do myself or should I have someone else with more experience do it? 

I replaced mine about 15 years ago. If a old man can do it surely you can. The worst part was the preparation, getting the truck jacked up and on good jack stands, removing wheels & etc. I removed one arm at a time replaced the bushing and reinstalled. I do remember pressing out the old bushings wasn't easy. I went back with polyurethane bushings because I don't plan on doing it again.:laugh:

3 hours ago, olddude said:

I replaced mine about 15 years ago. If a old man can do it surely you can. The worst part was the preparation, getting the truck jacked up and on good jack stands, removing wheels & etc. I removed one arm at a time replaced the bushing and reinstalled. I do remember pressing out the old bushings wasn't easy. I went back with polyurethane bushings because I don't plan on doing it again.:laugh:

It does look like a pain. But got quoted $1200 for the job which got me thinking that I should just learn how to do it myself. :holdwrench:

29 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I bought all new MoPar arms, course they were a bit cheaper for me but MoPar is still a route that can be taken. 

:yeahthat:

If you are running stock control arms, I would bet you'll be much happier just replacing the whole piece than fighting 30+ yr old bushings stuck in there. Aftermarket arms are very inexpensive. 

6 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

:yeahthat:

If you are running stock control arms, I would bet you'll be much happier just replacing the whole piece than fighting 30+ yr old bushings stuck in there. Aftermarket arms are very inexpensive. 

True. Thats a good idea

But you still have to deal with the axle side bushings (UCA) with new arms.  The passenger side one is not too terrible, but the driver side can be a real bear.  Beg, borrow, buy, rent a good ball joint press kit that has ALL of the adapters.  Fiddle around with various ones until you find a combo that works.

Also, only do one arm at a time.  Otherwise it can be a PITA trying to get the axle lined back up to get all the CA bolts back in.

I have to agree with@WahooSteeler if your running stock control arms it’s cheaper & less of a headache to just replace the whole control arms as those bushings can be a pain to press out without ruining the stamped steel control arms, for about $120-150 you can get all 4 control arms & new axle side bushings with them, it’s something you could easily do with a good rental balljoint press.....(or a large hammer)....and a free afternoon :)

6 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

But you still have to deal with the axle side bushings (UCA) with new arms.  The passenger side one is not too terrible, but the driver side can be a real bear.  Beg, borrow, buy, rent a good ball joint press kit that has ALL of the adapters.  Fiddle around with various ones until you find a combo that works.

Also, only do one arm at a time.  Otherwise it can be a PITA trying to get the axle lined back up to get all the CA bolts back in.

Good to know. Thanks!