can anybody scan text off pages and covert to digital text?

Pete M

so I bought a older book about 4x4s.  thought it would answer some questions about MJ production numbers, but really I just have more questions. :(   but that's another topic for another post.  this one is about digitizing several pages of really tiny text so it's not 50 photos of text and so that way anyone can read it.  what options are out there?  does anyone here own such a device?

so I bought a older book about 4x4s.  thought it would answer some questions about MJ production numbers, but really I just have more questions.    but that's another topic for another post.  this one is about digitizing several pages of really tiny text so it's not 50 photos of text and so that way anyone can read it.  what options are out there?  does anyone here own such a device?

I use CamScanner on my phone, export to pdf and edit on the computer if I have to. Pretty nice app for a free one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first attempt was... so-so

cle. As such, it reached the market with time-proven features as uniframe body
he Comanche four-wheel drive compact pickup truck was derived form the Cherokee sport
uthility vehicle
constructio
yload capacity of up to
ofered buyers a choice
ransfer case or t
he Ouadralink front suspension. The Comanche also featured the longest
or import entry in its field, a 7 ft., 4 in. long pickup box, a
f up to 2,205 Ibs., and a double-walled pickup box. The Comanche als
four-wheel drive systems. the Command-Trac part-time
r the Selec-Trac ful-time transfer case. Both had shift-on-the fly capability.
wheelbase (119.7 in.) of any U.S.
Ether system was available with three engine selections. The throttle body fuel injected 2.5
Etne was standard. Optional were the 2.8 liter V-6 and the 2.1 liter turbo-charged diesel.
Th
ransmissions were available-a standard 4-Speed manual or optional 5-speed manual
and 3-speed automatic transmissions.,
The Comanche was offered in three trim levels-the base custom, the mid-range X and the
ine XLS. Standard equipment interior content of the custom consisted of these items:
inht armrest, ashtray, cigarette lighter, mini console, B-pillar-mounted dome lights, color-
oer vinvi door panels, black textured vinyl floor covering, glove box light, heater and
defroster, molded vinyl covered headliner, lap and shoulder belt restraint system, 9.5 in. day/
night rearview mirror, passenger assist handles, vinyl-covered bench seat, 2-spoke black
steering wheel and vinyl covered sun viIsor. The standard exterior features of the custom
Comanche consisted of black front bumper with black end caps, black door and tailgate
handles, black fender flares and front air dam, black grille with argent insert, black and argent
headight bezels, black dual rearview exterior mirrors, black moldings for windshield surround,
door window frames, dip rails, and rear window weather strip, and black hub covers. The
custom models also had electric 2-speed windshield wipers, dual horns, halogen headlights,
and a buzzer warning system.
Equipment for the X Package in addition to, or in place of that of the Comanche custom was
as follows: Hockey stick style armrests, custom trim door panels, color-keyed vinyl floor
covering, instrument panel bright accents on black cluster overlay and ventlouver, AM radio,
remium custom vinyl bench seat, color-keyed sport 3-spoke steering wheel, bright front
bumper with black end caps, bright grille with bright surround moldings and headlight bezels,
bright moldings for windshield surround, rear windows and drip rail, black taillamp trim, dual
pin upper body side stripes in bright orange/red or light blue/medium blue, and bright wheel
trim rings.
he XLS Package had the following interior equipment in addition to or in place of that of the
som Package: Hockey stick armrest with custom trim, carpeted floor cOvering. color-keyed
aOnic headliner and sun visors, bright surround for instrument panel with color-keyed insert,
ge abric covered bench seat, color-keyed 2-spoke steering wheel, Gauge Group
roup and AM radio. The XLS exterior was identified by these items: Bright front bumper
mo end caps, color-keyed fender flares and air dam, bright grille with bright surroung
windo neadlamp bezels, bright dual rearview exterior mirrors, bright moldings for door
blue for body side, hood and tailgate, bright taillight trim and wheeltrim rings with bright hub
window frame, ear window, windshield and
drip rail, dual pin stripes in gold, dark red or dark
cOvers.

Yeah, OCR is 100% dependent on the quality of the image. Some software is better than others but all are imperfect in one way or another. I regularly use machine-read data at work that comes from various sources and it's usually decent quality, but almost all of it has some issues

Scanning to PDF is generally a first step. Unless you have a program (app) that edits PDFs, you can't do anything with the PDF. And even full Adobe Acrobat isn't great for really editing text -- it's better only for making minor corrections for things like typos.

As Fiatslug mentioned, there are on-line OCR sites. I prefer to work on my computer, and there are also any number of free OCR programs that run under Windows. There are probably some for Apple iOS, too, but I don't know anything about those.I've been using a Windows program cleverly named "Free OCR." It's not perfect, but it's about as good as a commercial OCR program I used a few years ago at work. As was mentioned, the quality of OCR output is heavily dependent on the quality and clarity of the scan you're trying to convert.

https://www.simpleocr.com/download/

Here's one from the Microsoft Store (with links to others at the bottom): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/a9t9-free-ocr-software/9nblgggz5nsn?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

A couple of months ago I tried out four different (Android) cell phone apps for scanning documents into [purportedly] usable documents. All were highly rated in reviews. Two failed completely, and I tried them on a Samsung Eclipse J3, a ZTE something, and a Samsung Galaxy tablet. The other two succeeded in scanning the document, but the resulting scan was poor quality and not editable. In the end I gave up and deleted all four apps from all the devices.