Blown Nissan Murano transmission

IronManche87

Hey y'all! Man do I have a doozy for y'all so the GF and I are in the middle of a road trip (so far made it to family in CO) and the transmission in her car (06 Nissan Murano fwd) decided to leave us stranded on the side of the road all of a sudden it sounded like a splashguard was loose or something then a clunking so we pulled over looked at everything it all looked fine. Had her slowly inch forward and sounded like maybe a bad cv joint but both look in good condition. Kept having her go back and forth and eventually it wouldn't move when shifted into gear.. Checked the fluid and it was low (it was later in the day) thought maybe just that, right? Got towed to the next town went to the parts store the next morning for fluid topped it off and when I checked the dipstick in the morning I notice shimmering in the fluid like.. My worst fear.. Metal particles.. The vehicle only has 93k miles but does have the infamous CVT trans.. I called Nissan and they quoted about 3.5k for a new trans.. Oof.. my dad sourced a bunch of Muranos at a couple junkyards near Denver BUT they are ALL awd and absolutely none of them are fwd... Just brainstorming the idea since my jeep is 2wd but i have a 4wd front axle it gave me the idea of "What about swapping the trans and tcase from an AWD Murano and just leaving off the shaft to the rear leaving it a fwd unit?" An AWD unit is about 800 vs 3500. We've already gone into the hole between the AC compressor going out in the desert and two borderline blowouts and getting all four tires replaced. I know it wouldn't be ideal and I feel stupid for thinking about it, but 3500 is more than we can really afford right now while being 1000 miles from home.. Any ideas or input is welcome please! Sorry for the giant book but really need some help on this one guys! Much appreciated!

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

most old Jeep parts are "dumb".  they don't really know or care if certain other parts are missing.  more modern cars are "smart" and the trans may not be able to function if there's a missing torque output path.  :dunno:

which of course begs the question, how hard is a 4wd swap?  :brows:

also, check car-part.com  :L: 

most old Jeep parts are "dumb".  they don't really know or care if certain other parts are missing.  more modern cars are "smart" and the trans may not be able to function if there's a missing torque output path.  :dunno:

which of course begs the question, how hard is a 4wd swap?  :brows:

also, check car-part.com  :L: 
That's kinda my worry is I know it'll need to get reprogrammed but I'm not sure if the trans will even function. I can't say I didn't already peruse the idea of doing an AWD swap all together but not really what I want to do lol

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk