home fabbed snorkel

i've done PVC, and first whack witha tree branch cracked it.

Then did ABS, heated it and bent it. Over time, where I heated it cracked, but I think mainly due to whacking tree branches into it.

I dunno... The ABS took some pretty hard hits, and only cracked where I heated it to conform to the contour of the body into the a-pillar. If you don't care about the looks, just use elbows to get close, and I think you'll be happy with ABS.

Had it on that Jeep for 3 years... never noticed any sun issues...

I used to do pond running...

Like water to armpits Jeepin... I worried about that stuff collapsing like the garden hose we all tried long ago in the deep end of the pool.

If you aren't going that deep, but more the occasional splash, sure, why not?

You could also use wire reinforced vinyl tubing. Check out McMaster-Carr as a source.

just because of that name, I will never source from them. I don't like that name.

lol. but I would like to see a thread on building this...I'm wanting a snorkel but have a serious lack of $$$ to do the project.

Last one I made was back in '02, and the ABS was like double the cost of PVC... By the time I was done, I swore to myself, never again... too much money and still booty-fabulicious. Then when it cracked I started trying to come up with another way.

I think if I ever do it again, I'm going to an exhaust shop and having them bend me up a piece of pipe to fit the contour of the Jeep. Put the ARB snorkle head on it, or one of those fancy outback-style precleaners to top it off, soak the thing in semi-gloss rustoleum (using a rag and rope to get inside- to fend off possible rust) and feed that into the engine compartment with like a sheet metal fabbed box. I'd make the box contoured on the front so trees and stuff have a ramp to ride up.

I think it would cost the same, or less to do it with metal than doing it with ABS plastic. At least, that's what I thought 5 years ago. No idea on prices now.

No welder? No problem. Use rivets and silicone.

You could also use wire reinforced vinyl tubing. Check out McMaster-Carr as a source.

just because of that name, I will never source from them. I don't like that name.

lol. but I would like to see a thread on building this...I'm wanting a snorkel but have a serious lack of $$$ to do the project.

They have a really cool catalog. but their prices are OUTRAGEOUSLY high.

More expensive than even Grainger in alot of cases.....

Sorry, I am used to buying under the umbrella of where I work so I get a nice government discount!

When I was in the Corps, the kits that were used was a heavy rubber like the ones for venting exhaust out of the garage.

I have to agree that Mcmaster Carr is high, and so is grainger.

I have one of those bootyfab snorkels on Casper (came that way) and it is booty fabulios. I know ARB stuff is high, but do yourseld and your vehicle a favor, and buy the ARB one or just don't run one