Brake upgrades - start with this

18 hours ago, Torq_Shep said:

Interested in if the WJ swap works with the eliminator wheels or not...

That’s a tough call. I’ve seen the WJ clear 15” steelies but didn’t look like their was much room left. Would also depend on whether or not wheel spacers were used. 

• 7 months later...

Just to add. There is a Mustang rotor and caliper upgrade that uses the older AMC spindles. To answer as to the 2wd, needing the stub shaft. Since it goes with the WJ Big Brake upgrade, then the use of WK Knuckles and 2000-2001 XJ bearing hubs. So, the stub shafts would be needed to hold the bearing unit together. As for rims, I did run some 15" Canyons, but needed spacers. Then I changed to using JK of WJ 17" rims, with WJ bearing hubs, so 5 on 5 (??). No spacer on the fronts, but adapter on the rear. 

I did do a second XJ. The 15" steelies just would not clear. I use 16" aluminum rims from a 2000-2001 XJ.

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2021 at 1:13 AM, 75sv1 said:

Just to add. There is a Mustang rotor and caliper upgrade that uses the older AMC spindles. To answer as to the 2wd, needing the stub shaft. Since it goes with the WJ Big Brake upgrade, then the use of WK Knuckles and 2000-2001 XJ bearing hubs. So, the stub shafts would be needed to hold the bearing unit together. As for rims, I did run some 15" Canyons, but needed spacers. Then I changed to using JK of WJ 17" rims, with WJ bearing hubs, so 5 on 5 (??). No spacer on the fronts, but adapter on the rear. 

I did do a second XJ. The 15" steelies just would not clear. I use 16" aluminum rims from a 2000-2001 XJ.

Curious as to the WJ hubs. It was my understanding that they could not be used in a XJ/YJ/TJ/MJ housing due to not properly centering the u joint axis in a turn. How are they working out for you? 
if they didn’t chew up u joints they would make fore a simple wheel bolt pattern change. I also run JL wheels but with adapters

7 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Curious as to the WJ hubs. It was my understanding that they could not be used in a XJ/YJ/TJ/MJ housing due to not properly centering the u joint axis in a turn. How are they working out for you? 
if they didn’t chew up u joints they would make fore a simple wheel bolt pattern change. I also run JL wheels but with adapters

You have to weld on a 1/4" spacer. IRO, Stinky Fab, Ironman 4X4 and others sell them. That keeps the axis of the U-joint in line with the axis of the ball joints. On one of my XJs, I am using a WJ hub bearing. So, 5 on 5. Also, you will need to space the caliper bracket a 1/4 too. That is if you use a WJ rotor. I'm also starting to question how much I should space the 07-08 Nitro/Liberty rotors. I also used 45mm length caliper bolts with the 1/4 spacer. I like a bit of thread past say a nut or the internal threads. 

• 10 months later...
On 9/17/2020 at 5:30 PM, big66440 said:

If you're truck is a 2WD you'll also need the stub shafts, and depending on your wheel bolt pattern you might need an adapter/spacer as well as WJ lower ball joints and a wheel alignment when it's all done:L:. I did this upgrade on my MJ and it made a nice difference.

You did the WJ knuckle swap on a 2wd MJ?

Anything different or special from the 4wd swap? I have access to the entire 2wd WJ right now and was possibly even thinking entire axle swap with a bolt pattern change? Do you have any input or knowledge on this? 

On 5/31/2022 at 7:19 PM, WranglerMangler said:

You did the WJ knuckle swap on a 2wd MJ?

Anything different or special from the 4wd swap? I have access to the entire 2wd WJ right now and was possibly even thinking entire axle swap with a bolt pattern change? Do you have any input or knowledge on this? 

Yes, I swapped the calipers, spindles, rotors, lower ball joints  and "half shafts" "dummy shafts" or what ever people want to call them from a 2WD WJ on to my 2WD MJ. If your MJ is 4WD you'll need a spacer to align the front U joints and wheel bearings properly ( JKS part number OGS930), I'm using Spidertrax WHS011 adapters to be able to use my original steel wheels with the 5x4-1/2 wheel bolt pattern. If you plan on using 15" diameter wheels there's a chance you may need to grind the caliper for clearance since WJ's came standard with 16" diameter wheels.

Thank you big66440, I have completed a 4wd WJ knuckle swap and am aware of the hassle of getting the bigger caliper into a 15” wheel. I am also aware of the benefits of the bigger brakes too. I think I’ll go snag the entire front end out of this 2wd WJ while I have the opportunity to do so. Did you do custom steering or make the WJ stuff fit? Should I grab the pitman arm while I’m there too? 69BD5DF1-4000-4E80-AC72-A5B752F354D7.jpeg.b7fc9b5e6825fec354f60101d7eab35f.jpeg401EA53C-79B9-4EEC-81C1-3184CC250DAE.jpeg.2d8c0afc72353eb4d5837685b4350731.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Is there a list of "reliable" or "period correct" replacement part brands? I'm fixing to buy some brake parts for G's Chief and noticed several brands of rear brake wheel cylinders. I'm sure I will run into this again as we buy items such as oil filter, window glass guides, gas cap and so on. Our goal is to restore it as close to OEM Status as possible.

I'd like to use the best "original replacement" option for his restoration whenever we have a choice. In this case, there's Wearever, Brakewear, Dorman, Napa and others. Wheel cylinders may be an example of- they are all the same manufacture's part, just offered through different retailers, but that would be useful to know as well.

I'd love to read through a thread called Factory Original Replacement Parts, but that would be labor intensive for sure. There is a lot of good information for upgrades and custom build parts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 11:24 AM, 87 MJ Chief said:

Is there a list of "reliable" or "period correct" replacement part brands? I'm fixing to buy some brake parts for G's Chief and noticed several brands of rear brake wheel cylinders. I'm sure I will run into this again as we buy items such as oil filter, window glass guides, gas cap and so on. Our goal is to restore it as close to OEM Status as possible.

I'd like to use the best "original replacement" option for his restoration whenever we have a choice. In this case, there's Wearever, Brakewear, Dorman, Napa and others. Wheel cylinders may be an example of- they are all the same manufacture's part, just offered through different retailers, but that would be useful to know as well.

I'd love to read through a thread called Factory Original Replacement Parts, but that would be labor intensive for sure. There is a lot of good information for upgrades and custom build parts.

Centric is a go to if oem want not available. Normally a pretty good bet

• 11 months later...