Transmission Issues

Get the Tcase from the XJ, also.  Your current Tcase will not mate to the AX15.

Get the trans crossmember.

Get the trans mounting bracket.

Get the bellbousing for the AX15 and the bearing release fork.

Get the Tcase shift linkage.  (The linkage for the AX is slightly different than the BA10. Although, modifying the current is doable.)

Since you are (maybe) swapping to an external slave cyl trans, it is a good time to change clutch kits.  I discovered when I swapped mine that the pressure plates changed when the AX15 switched from internal to external slave cyl.  The old PP did fit and worked, it just did not feel correct.  You will need to change the hydraulic system, also.  Or at least the slave cyl.  

Be aware that the input shaft tips on the AX15 changed from ~1/2" to ~3/4" size (don't remember which years).  You will need to change the pilot bushing.  One that worked for me and is referenced often on CC is the pilot bushing for a '75 CJ5 w/ a 304 engine.

I am very happy with my AX15 swap.

Good luck.

my old peugeot would act up when the level dropped, but I had a slow leak out the rear seal.  Every now and again it'd shift funny and I'd top it off and it'd be fine again. 

according to his sig the truck is 2wd. :L: 

car-part.com should be able to find ya something.

That would be the proper bell housing for the external slave cyl transmission. 

No, you can’t run a 4wd transmission without a transfer case. 

You can run a transfer case without the front axle. 

It used to intimidate me. I just took it one step at a time. 

YouTube has become my “goto” repair manual. If you have question or want to do something, search YouTube. Find several videos on what you want to do and watch them all. One may/will do things differently than another. One may give more details than the other. 

also, CC has a great knowledge base. Ask and you will get answers. 

I'd never pulled a trans in my life and then jumped into building my truck. :D   it's all about doing your research, following the steps, and planning on things going wrong (aka: having extra time and money available for when a part won't fit or a bolt snaps). 

car-part.com and be sure to search for various years of XJ since the site lists strictly by part number and those might change over time. 

don't forget you'll want the crossmember/mount and shifter handle/tower too.

Crossmember and transmission mount are separate pieces. 

The bell housing will depend on the year of the transmission. Pre-94 AX15s will have internal slave cyl. That’s the same as your BA10. The input shaft tip will be the same. No need to change clutch kits or pilot bushing. If the transmission is a 94+ these will be external slave cyl. Input shaft tips will be larger. As I suggested change the pressure plate and pilot bushing. 

You can purchase an all-in-one master/slave hydraulic clutch system if you gat an external slave bell housing.