M715 with a 6BT

A little more about the project.  The stock axles and springs are being replaced.  Custom spring perches are being welded in to do stock Chevy springs in a different location than factory.  The front axle is a kingpin Dana 60 out of a Chevy, not sure of the year.  The rear is a Dodge Dana 80.  Both are going to get 5.38 gears and air lockers.  20" beadlocks will get some 42 or 46" tires.  Not sure exactly what tires will eventually end up on it.

The 6BT will remain mostly stock.  The Getrag 5 speed manual will also be mostly stock.  Behind that will probably be an ORD Monster Box attached to an NP205.

Most of the character and style of the truck will remain stock.  The 24V electrical system is probably going to be replaced with a 12V, while trying to find gauges and lights that will work and still look original.  It's probably going to end up with mechanical gauges for the most part when possible.

Still a lot up in the air but it's going to be pretty awesome when it's done.

• 2 months later...

Not much.  We got the engine placement set the way we want it.  He's sleeved the mounting holes for the engine mounts.  He and I have discussed adding plate steel to the outside of the frame to reinforce it since the heavy engine with that much torque has a tendency to crack the frame if you don't beef it up.

We've been doing other projects like getting our MJs running (he bought the second one of the pair I picked up from me) and going out on Jeep trails before everything starts getting snowed in.

It's likely to start seeing more progress over the winter.

20 minutes ago, derf said:

Not much.  We got the engine placement set the way we want it.  He's sleeved the mounting holes for the engine mounts.  He and I have discussed adding plate steel to the outside of the frame to reinforce it since the heavy engine with that much torque has a tendency to crack the frame if you don't beef it up.

We've been doing other projects like getting our MJs running (he bought the second one of the pair I picked up from me) and going out on Jeep trails before everything starts getting snowed in.

I'm looking forward to seeing this project happen.

• 4 months later...
On 10/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, derf said:

any updates?

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

any updates?

Unfortunately no.  We're in the middle of an 8.8 swap on the MJ right now.  It's a matter of getting piles of parts out of the way so we can do some other stuff.  And getting a TJ Rubicon ready for EJS is on the burner too.