garden experiment

Pete M

fencing was the only thing that worked in my michigan garden to keep the bunnies at bay.  :(  the sprays were only temporary at best.  :fistshake2:

there's always air rifles though. :D   maybe a live trap?  :dunno:

Not of the same bent, but it is agricultural:  There is a bitter plum that is used to make jam. Damson. Either sweet or bitter with half the sugar which I prefer. Great for toast or bagels. I also use it when cooking venison. Can't find them local. Anyone in the semi-arid northwest states, or otherwise,  find them?

• 2 weeks later...

the baby cukes have moved into a bigger home.  :D   and I have a lid that goes on top to keep it from getting too flooded during these crazy afternoon rains.  (there's a big crack int he bottom to drain but there's no way it can keep up with a downpour)

20200807_191731.jpg

nice!  :D 

as for my own update, the main garden has now given up 5 cukes and they are taaaaaaaasty. :popcorn:  I'm super looking forward to more of them!  but at this slow rate I'll likely still need to buy cukes for pickling since I need a large amount of them all at the same time.  unless some sort of explosion in producing a more productive produce production occurs... 

On 8/1/2020 at 9:02 AM, Pete M said:

fencing was the only thing that worked in my michigan garden to keep the bunnies at bay.  :(  the sprays were only temporary at best.  :fistshake2:

there's always air rifles though. :D   maybe a live trap?  :dunno:

Certain plants can deter them - Marigolds I believe is one and they are a good companion plant to tomatoes.  Also, black pepper shaken liberally around the garden is supposed to help... 

I think in the last 2 weeks, my wife has made 13 loaves of zucchini bread and 20 dozen batches of squash muffins :crazy: We also got 59 ears of sweet corn that we stripped and froze. From the tomatoes we've picked so far, we have made 16 pints of pasta/pizza sauce, 2 quarts of salsa, and 9 quarts of tomato soup. The cukes have been slow this year, but I have made 17 quarts of dill pickles and have about 60 cukes in the fridge. Green beans are finally slowing down, but we have been picking 4-5 servings a night. We are still harvesting 5-10 okra a night and now need a stool to reach the top since the plants are 7-8' tall. The deep freeze is about full. This cool wet late summer weather is wild and making the veggies go bananas :rotfl2:

• Pete M changed the title to garden experiment