Quick Question: What transmission and gears????

Hey there,

Just trying to do some calculations and new to MJs, old to Jeeps.

In a 1986 4cyl, auto, 2wd, longbed MJ - what transmission would be used in it and what would the gear ratios be??

Also, what gears would be found in the rear axle?

Thanks in advance

Tonka

Out of curiousity - I've got what I believe to be a TF727 out of an 89 Grand Wagoneer (or atleast that what I read up it should be), would this be a direct bolt it? Its got the transfercase with it so I was thinking it would be an easy way to convert to 4wd as wel?

Out of curiousity - I've got what I believe to be a TF727 out of an 89 Grand Wagoneer (or atleast that what I read up it should be), would this be a direct bolt it? Its got the transfercase with it so I was thinking it would be an easy way to convert to 4wd as wel?

the bellhousings will probably be different, cause the 2.8 is a GM motor, the GW should've had an AMCv8

but since the trannies are related maybe hte BH can be swapped between the two? just a thought

Um... okay, but I have a 2.5L not a 2.8L....

So, does that change it?

Also, had a fun part doing front wheel bearing when I grabbed new ones from the shop for an 86 2wd Manche, but this one has the sealed bearing unit like I've seen on a D30 thats 4wd but a dust cap on the back vs, a ujoint and axle shaft. Weird....

2.5 and 2.8 have the same engine to tranny bolt pattern, so it wouldnt matter anyway. But yes, an AMC V8 will definitly have a different pattern.

Thats why I'm curious here because its an 1989 Grand Wagoneer - ie. the cross over years. I don't really know auto tranneis but from the build sheet it said its an RH32 or something like that which my buddy who loooked at it said its definately a 727. 89 is the cross over years of DCX so I'm not sure what they were using and when

Thanks for the info gents