Battery Spark

Hi all, 

I am working on a 1990 MJ. I have had a few electrical issues since owning the truck. I began refreshing grounds and testing connections. Things that do not work: Horn, Wipers, Radio, and RH Rear turn signal. I ended up purchasing a big 7 replacement kit from JeepCables hoping it would help.  I replaced each wire one at a time and then I reviewed each connection. Once I attempted to connect the battery, I got a big spark. I didn't have that before. So I went back through again. Everything appears how it should be. Anybody every have any issues like this? I looked through some forums but couldn't find anything. Where should I start? What things should I be looking for. I am on month 6 of trying to figure out where my wires are crossed. Any input will help. 

Thank you!

Define a "big spark."

A spark when you were putting the cables on the battery?  I wouldn't be too concerned as that happens sometimes, same way it does when you put on jumper cables.  Or did the spark originate from somewhere other than the battery terminal?

I would bet you have a short somewhere if you got a large spark from the battery cable when you connected it. Have you checked the fuse panel yet? You should fill out your signature so we can be of more help.

This explains how to fill out your signature.

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

Define a "big spark."

A spark when you were putting the cables on the battery?  I wouldn't be too concerned as that happens sometimes, same way it does when you put on jumper cables.  Or did the spark originate from somewhere other than the battery terminal?

When I attach A cable (no matter the order Positive or negative first) it produces a strong enough pop that it’s discoloring the battery terminal and melting the contact point on the cable

1 minute ago, Anfonyhunt said:

When I attach A cable (no matter the order Positive or negative first) it produces a strong enough pop that it’s discoloring the battery terminal and melting the contact point on the cable

Ah if it's melting then yeah you've got a bigger problem, possibly a short somewhere as JMO413 said.  

Send us more info on your truck and we can go from there.