ford 9 portal axles

They're pretty sweet.

I don't know if they're proven though. The volvo portals they're based on were only good for 36-37" tires if totally built and in a light weight buggy. They assumably improved the design an aweful lot. However, the only comp buggy that was lined up to run them (that I know of) had a falling out with them.

If they are tough, then they're amazing... And you can run a hi9 in them and have issues with your driveshaft angle being too steep in the wrong direction!

What was failing in the Volvos?

Everything on the portal side of life. The boxes would crack in half under the side loading, or they'd break free from the axle tube and spin. The portal gears would carnage themselves (thus, there's some aftermarket gears out there made of some serious alloys), and the output shaft from the lower portal gear, and pretty much everything that was splined anywhere in there. I have no idea if they had any ring&pinion issues, but I doubt it as the stress is really concentrated on the portals.

The problem was they were never designed for rock-crawling.

I think stock volvos would be pretty slick with a set of 35s as long as your truck weighed under 4000lbs.

all of the problems/concerns noted above are all addressed on the page so i guess ill just have to wait to see. just thaught they would make a very uneque manche, spendy but worth it if they are as strong as they say but i did like the hybrid 9 concept of them.