tb bore on renix

Has anyone tried to bore their renix throttle body out and make their own throttle plate to fit the new bore? I had mine bore to 58mm and am working on making a new throttle plate to fit the new bore. Any input would help thanks.

Has anyone tried to bore their renix throttle body out and make their own throttle plate to fit the new bore? I had mine bore to 58mm and am working on making a new throttle plate to fit the new bore. Any input would help thanks.

If this helps IDK, but I just took my throttle body off and cleaned it real good. I removed the butterfly and had a real hard time getting it set back in the right place, so it would close up correctly. Also when I had it out, The butterfly looked a little restrictive on the intake side when it was at WOT. I filed down the butterfly to make the edge that is facing the incoming air a knife edge.

I would think you could just trace out the bore in the intake manny and just use a dremal to take it to the line you scribed. Like when you port match a head. Maybe make a template with a gasket.

Normally you bore it to a size that you can buy a throttle plate for. Making one is possible, but either it's going to be a huge PITA or require some nice tooling.

bore it to the cutout size of one of them big hole saws (the circle hole bit that you put on a drill), and cut that size out of a sheet of whatever steel/copper etc. you wanna use. sand the ends, and taper them a bit, smooth it down, then do the final shaping to make it identical to the one that you have, just a fraction larger.

i had the machine shop where i work bore it out to 58mm. I did some measuring and noticed that the butterfly was 2mm longer than the original bore. so i drew out a circle on a piece of aluminum and cut the cirlce out and used a belt sander to get it just right to fit the witdth and length. now just to widen the shaft and drill my two holes to mount it in the shaft. will post more as i go and let u know the end results.

i had the machine shop where i work bore it out to 58mm. I did some measuring and noticed that the butterfly was 2mm longer than the original bore. so i drew out a circle on a piece of aluminum and cut the cirlce out and used a belt sander to get it just right to fit the witdth and length. now just to widen the shaft and drill my two holes to mount it in the shaft. will post more as i go and let u know the end results.

sounds like a winner. I don't know why I was thinking you where asking about the manifold.. :nuts: how you going to widen the shaft? I might try this at school next semester.

I'm not actually widening the shaft just the opening that the butterfly goes through. this is where it gets precise :) i am using a dremel with a cutoff wheel that comes with them. i started on it today while i was at work but the dremel i was using was battery operated and died on me. so far so good though cut is the same width as the exsisting slit.

I'm not actually widening the shaft just the opening that the butterfly goes through. this is where it gets precise :) i am using a dremel with a cutoff wheel that comes with them. i started on it today while i was at work but the dremel i was using was battery operated and died on me. so far so good though cut is the same width as the exsisting slit.

I was thinking you might be able to find a file that thick and just take a little time shaving it out. The dremel will work I'm sure, but you won't be able to get it perfectly flat on the ends.

will try to get some pics up this weekend. not sure the process of that. I'm not computer savvy. give me some hand tools i can make anything anything hand me a computer ill have it messed up in 5 seconds.

Goto Comanche Club Image Hosting and get you an account. Upload your pictures on photo bucket and copy the IMG Code under the picture you want to add on your thread.

(you'll see it under your newly uploaded picture)

I always resize my pictures to web large before I upload too. That way it keeps the thread from getting all crazy big, so it fits good.

Before you download to photo bucket. Just snap your picture, plug your camera in to the computer, open your camera file, click on the picture you want to see, goto edit picture( on top tool bar to the far right), click resize (second from the bottom), theres a pulldown box on the right that says Predefined width and hight click the arrow on the side and select Web-Large, click ok, then under file click save.

I did finish it. I took a piece of aluminum and cut it out to 60 mm and used a belt sander to slowly remove excess along the sides to fit the bore. got that all done and the shaft slot widened. Installed it on the jeep and idled right off the bat. the best my jeep has run since i bought it. havent got pis yet but will soon. i drove it to work today and there is a noticable difference in throttle response. not a small block response but for these 6'ers not to bad almost like an ho with a throttle body spacer.

I finally have some pics.

Here are some of the jeep itself:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Here are the ones of the throttle body:

1) Shows the throttle body from top with new bore.

Image Not Found

2) Shows how a 58mm bore is close to the egr I believe. If you went 60mm it would make the wall to thin here.

Image Not Found

3) Shows with the throttle wide open.

Image Not Found

If you would like more pics or certain shots let me know and i will take it back apart to give better pictures.