Finished, for now

How do you think it turned out?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think it turned out?

• Yeah, I'd drive it!
    • That thing ought to be burned to the ground!

So I started this little project with the intentions of building a reliable DD/ mild wheeler. Something that I could hop in, drive to the trails, camp out of, wheel, and drive home. It turned out better then I had hoped for, atleast I think it did. This whole truck was built on a budget, and I didn't go too far over. Here are a few pics immediately after paint, and yes it was painted outside, with tractor paint nonetheless.

And I took it out for a maiden voyage this past weekend, around 500 miles w/ no issues, didn't get any pics completed before it got its first body damage.

Let me know what yall think.

Great lookin truck. I'm personally thinking about doing the front clip conversion, and haven't found many people who have done this. Easy to do?? All i can say about the truck is that you gotta do something about the tail lights. You should also clean up those gnarly edges with either flares or Protekto-Trim.

The frt clip was simple, and only about $200 in parts. I should have used a junkyard header panel though, the aftermarket one didn't fit too well. I've got a set of taillights for it and the trimmed edges didn't look too bad, until I got in to that bedside and seperated the panels. But I will put some kind of trim on them for ya.

I am new to this forum so forgive me if this has already been anwsered in another post. I was wondering what all the specs were on it. It looks awesome by the way. When you did the rear like that what all did youhave to do?

thanks

I never covered the specs, so here goes.

'87 MJ pioneer, 4.0, AW4, 231, factory 44 geared 4.56 w/ lockright, 30 geared same, approx. 7" lift using RE drop brackets and components, rear spring over, was longbed, now bobbed 15", 97-01 frt. clip, 35" mtrs on Jeep Canyon wheels running 1.5"" spacers, XJ buckets, tuffy YJ console.

When I bobbed the bed, I cut the framerails off and made a new rear crossmember w/ shackle hangers, d-rings, and reciever. I wanted the tailgate flush w/ crossmember, so I had to notch tailgate so it would actually open. To shorten the bed...just make a few marks where you want to cut, close your eyes, and pull the solvesall trigger; then weld it back up. In my case, that whole process involved alot of cussing in between.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

What did you need off the redefined Cherokee to do that front end? I know I'm dreaming, but would love to have it on mine.

Personally I would take those 2.5 ton rockwells out from under the duece and ahalf and put them under the MJ :twisted:

BTW nice rig, now wheel it and cause some damage to it :wink: :twisted:

It crossed my mind to put rocks under a comanche, but decided against putting them under something without a frame! Don't worry though, a rig is being built in our shop right now w/ 2.5s, 6.0 vortec, th400, 203/205. I'm not going to tear apart two perfectly good dueces to rob the axles though. They are way too much fun to drive stock!

Oh, and if you want to see damage, I'll upload a couple pics just for you, but no more damage to comanche yet. I need to keep a somewhat straight body on something I own.

• 2 weeks later...