ZJ Bellhousing Question

JustEmptyEveryPocket

I got tricked into changing an engine in a 94? Grand Cherokee for a friend. He wanted to pull the head first to see what was wrong. Turns out this engine got HOT at some point and melted a hole in the #3 piston. So pulling the block came next. I decided to leave the transmission in place since I figured that would be easier. And oh was I wrong. Here comes the question:

Were bolt/ nut combos ever used in the bellhousing? On this vehicle (after I removed the obvious things like starter bolts, inspection cover bolts, etc) There were six more fasteners, two at 3:00 and 9:00, two at 1:00 and 11:00, both of which were normal from my experience removing other engines. Then there were two bolts with nuts (bolt came from the transmission side, nut was on the engine side) located between the others at about 10:30 and 1:30 position. 

Was anything like this factory? What should I do on re-assembly because there is NO WAY IN HELL I am ever putting bolts and nuts back. Undoing them had me using language that would make a sailor blush.... Thanks in advance.

4.0L motor.

The motor side is not the problem, its getting to the bolt head that is problematic. I was using 4' of combined wobble extensions and creating new yoga poses.

I have taken several Renix motors and trannys apart and don't remember the bolt/ nut combo. Was just curious if it came standard.

Did the 94 motors use the E12 top bolts? Because the ones I removed were regular hex heads.

I don't remember but and bolts that high on my 4.0l.  if the holes aren't threaded then either you have to reuse the nuts or try to tap threads.  However I don't know how that would work in cast.

I think I remember those bolts w/nuts.  They go through the bell housing, and through the bell housing spacer plate, but don't actually go through a block hole, if I remember right.  The I6 block is tall and narrow, so no bolt holes there.

See pics.  Green circle is top center, red circles are holes in question.  No block material there, bolts just go through the plate.

EDIT: Spacer plate should be "flipped over" to match block correctly in these pics.

DSCN3996.JPG

pdint_2_image_68920.15718275410493.jpg