Dreaded fuel pump wiring

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, jdog said:

that four pin weather pak goes to the a/c harness. whichis the a/c relay low pressure switch and a/c compressor

jdog, once again Good Eye.

1025701748_C117EnginetoAC.jpg.3479b413ea99c7fa65240183ca5bcd9d.jpg

This should add to the confusion. 

jdog, once again Good Eye.
1025701748_C117EnginetoAC.jpg.3479b413ea99c7fa65240183ca5bcd9d.jpg
This should add to the confusion. 

So while looking in the mess yesterday there was a wire in that harness that was stripped back wrapped in e tape. I ended up cutting it and doing a bit connector on it. I believe it was an orange w/tracer wire. Could that be part of the issue I’m having if it’s running for the AC clutch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have determined the clicking for the ac clutch was caused with the power jumper wire the PO used for the efan to the egr harness. Took that out and now no efan but no ac clutch click with key on and off. However there is a click on the ac clutch relay as well as the power latch relay. Couple clicks when I turn key to on. Normal?

For those reading. Installed a stand alone switch with relay for the e fan. Ran the Comanche this morning, and it ran great. No dieseling or any issues. Oil pressure hovered around 40psi and temp never got above 210. Low fuel light works. The only thing now is the dome light fuse keeps popping. How are the circuits ran on the fuse block? With the dome fuse blowing it caused my radio to go out. Radio fuse is good.

Your electrical problems have been pretty unique. You've come a long way and I must say you've done a nice job to get it this far. I don't see any connection between the DOME fuse and the RADIO fuse. My question would be "Does the radio work when the key is in the OFF position? In other words is the radio powered off the DOME circuit.

Your electrical problems have been pretty unique. You've come a long way and I must say you've done a nice job to get it this far. I don't see any connection between the DOME fuse and the RADIO fuse. My question would be "Does the radio work when the key is in the OFF position? In other words is the radio powered off the DOME circuit.

Yeah they all seem pretty odd. I am trying to figure out the PO mess and butchering of the wiring. The radio doesn’t come on with the key off. It is strange for that to be happening though. I have also decided to add an inline fuse on my power wire for the fuel pump for now. Just to be safe for the time being. Haven’t had any problems with it really. Just everything around that pin. The lower wire is for the switch on the dash for the fan. With an inine mini fuse. One thing I have noticed as well, while trying to figure all this out, is that on some of the open pins that should be open, only one side it open, even with a fuse in to complete the circuit. Maybe I’m doing it wrong but that is testing with both a multimeter and add a fuse piggyback with 2 fuses3803f9beb6b927fea08298a743d12036.jpg

I can see a 1pin fuse slot (ex: HTD WDW (Rear Defogger)) ,but why it would have a fuse in it, I don't know. Fuses on the output side of the fuse panel protect from the output side of the fuse panel to the component, but don't protect from additional current to the input side of the fuse panel. Are you still running fuel pump current through the IGN SW, then the FUSE PANEL?

I can see a 1pin fuse slot (ex: HTD WDW (Rear Defogger)) ,but why it would have a fuse in it, I don't know. Fuses on the output side of the fuse panel protect from the output side of the fuse panel to the component, but don't protect from additional current to the input side of the fuse panel. Are you still running fuel pump current through the IGN SW, then the FUSE PANEL?

So currently I am running the fuel pump hot wire from the fuse block. Powered when key is on. This morning I have added an inline fuse with a 20amp fuse. In the previous pic of the fuse block, the wire the PO used for the fuel pump power is the upper red one that goes from the block to the ballast bypass wires spliced together. If that makes sense.

Can we do a preliminary check on the FUEL PUMP RELAY?

Using a voltmeter or testlight (preferred) check for B+ on the following pins:
D1_5:  B+ (Hot at all times)
D2_4:  B+ (Hot during KEY ON/CRANKING).
D1_6:  KEY ON (B+ (For 2-3 seconds)) or CRANKING (B+ (Hot during CRANK)).

D1_D2.jpg.6a80c3f7836373dcaeefc968569a8d65.jpg

If not, is there anyway you can use that RED wire to control a relay, then run B+ from battery (fused), to relay, to fuel pump?

Can we do a preliminary check on the FUEL PUMP RELAY?

D1_D2.jpg.6a80c3f7836373dcaeefc968569a8d65.jpg
If not, is there anyway you can use that RED wire to control a relay, then run B+ from battery (fused), to relay, to fuel pump?

Will do. Today. Have to get new light tester and multimeter.

3 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Do this test twice, once with the RED wire connected and one with the RED wire disconnected from the FUSE PANEL.

Do this test twice, once with the RED wire connected and one with the RED wire disconnected from the FUSE PANEL.

I will be doing this today. Have been super busy the last couple days with other projects around the house.

So tested test light POS in pin NEG on battery(-)

D1-5 no continuity- key off red wire in.
D1-5 no continuity-key off red wire out.

D2-4 12v with key on red wire out
D2-4 continuity when key off red wire out

D1-6 continuity key off red wire out
D1-6 same continuity key on red wire out

I also tested the circuit on the fuse block with test light. Top row of pins have continuity second row of pins I have full 12v on HAZ/STOP with key off.

Need to start a testlight language:
L= Light
NL= No Light
DL= Dim Light
I'll take it that continuity=L and no continuity=NL

I'm looking into D1_5. Direct feed from fuselink.

Continuity just the cont light. The 12v it lights up to the 12v mark. Using this light538cab599b311a7f586222c2860acfdb.jpg

On 3/27/2020 at 4:52 PM, donald.wade3 said:

About: 89 SWB Pioneer, auto, 96/97 HO with all Renix components to include harness.

I now wonder which harnesses you got. Seems like nothing is lining up.