Will an 89 Wrangler AX-15/231 work to replace the BA-10Bomb

I have a source with an 89 AX-15 with NP231 attached from an 89 Wrangler. fairly low milage just over 100k. I have the infamous BA-10 made by the people that are shooting at us in Iraq. I am begining to believe there is a dirty bomb inside it and I am convinced that they have had a well though out plan to blow us up since 87. If you have a BA-10 get rid of it today. Notify DHS to pick up. LOL ;)

Anyway it's out of an 89 Wrangler with the 4.0 4x4. I'm an 88 MJ 4.0 4x4. Should be an easy swap without any mods. If you know of any mods please let me know. I'm curious if the early AX-15's in mid 1990 at the change, had 21 spline NP231 or have they always been 23 spline? I will be installing a new clutch, but I would like to convert to external slave. Help here too?

Anyone done the swap from 21 to 23 spline in the NP231?

jamminz.gif GO UT TEXAS

the input gear swap is as simple as any other teardown on a t-case... if you can do a SYE you can do a new input gear.

as far as i know they were all 23 spline and the 89 wrangler transmission will work. it'll have a different shifter though, so try and find a shifter for an AX from a XJ/MJ

other notes.. i asked a while back about converting to external slave and i think the response was either not possible or not worth the amount of work. don't remember 100% though

The Wrangler transfer case is "clocked" a couple of degrees more than the MJs. It should still clear the floor, but it may be a slight interference fit.

Also, the transfer case shift linkages are totally different. You'll have to use the MJ linkage, unless you want to butcher the floor pan of the truck. One of the shift arms on the YJ linage goes up where the MJ arm goes down (or maybe it's the other way), so pay attention to how your linkage is set up before you start taking things apart, because you'll need to figure out how to put it back together.

The Wrangler transfer case is "clocked" a couple of degrees more than the MJs. It should still clear the floor, but it may be a slight interference fit.

i've got my YJ ax15 in storage, and i gotta tell you it appears to be clocked the same just eyeballin it. are we sure that ALL of them are like that?

it may be that eyeballing isn't an exact art but it sure looked the same to me

I believe it's the transmission that does it. If I saw a random drivetrain combo sitting on the floor with nothing next to it for comparison, I'm not sure I could tell you if it was one or the other by looking at the clocking. :dunno:

I believe it's the transmission that does it. If I saw a random drivetrain combo sitting on the floor with nothing next to it for comparison, I'm not sure I could tell you if it was one or the other by looking at the clocking. :dunno:

well, i'll be doing this swap as soon as i can save up for a clutch kit

so i'll let you know how it fits with a YJ trans, and XJ t-case. that should narrow the thing down a bit. they have the same pilot bearing for the 4.2 and the 4.0 right?

its actually not that hard...we did it on a couple of my buddies XJ's...we bought the YJ trans b/c they were cheaper than the XJ's and we swapped out the tail section and it reclocked the t-case to the proper position...i planned on doing this but havent been able to locate a tranny for a decent price....oh well my trans is great so eh :cheers:

I have the infamous BA-10 made by the people that are shooting at us in Iraq.

I don't appreciate your sense of humor. The BA 10/5 is a Peugeot tramission, made in France. Since when are the French shooting at us in Iraq?

Why don't we stick to discussing Comanches on this forum and skip the gratuitous political insults -- especially if you don't even know what you're talking about.

Another way to look at it is: Peugeot is to France, as GM is to the USA. Not all GM products are made in the USA. IE, Mexico, Canada, China, Taiwan, Vietnam etc.

It's all about global manufacturing.

I have absolutely nothing against the French. Grandfathers last name was LaFon. 2nd generation son of an immigrant direct from France to New Orleans LA. 1890.