Long bed tank in short bed truck?

Let me start by saying, either I'm a moron, or the search here sucks.

I can't figure out how to trick it into returning results that are relevant to what I am looking for. Even "gas tank" returns a mess of stuff I care nothing about right now.

That said, has anyone looked at putting a long bed tank in a short bed truck? I've got two short bed trucks... and one of the reasons I wanted a long bed was for the added range of the larger tank.

Will it physically fit in the short bed truck?

Thanks.

Oh yeah, here are the dimensions I can find on the tanks:

36-1/2 x 17 1/4 x 13 5/8 (long bed)

29-3/4 x 17 1/4 x 13 5/8 (short bed)

I've got like 6-inches of lift on the first truck, and dunno if that matters, but its looking like I'm going to end up with about 6 inches on the second one too. I just wanna get more range out of it.

Thanks

Hangars are the least of my concerns...

I was wondering about axle, bed or "frame" interferance or anything.

If the tank physically can fit, I'll hold it up with bailing wire and duct tape (for that extra safety) if I need to, lol.

only way to find out is to try it.

and I think it won't work.

LOL... thanks!

I'll go under there with a tape measure and see what I can guesstimate out.

you're gonna have axle interference issues.

The longbed frame is stretched another few inches betwwen the cab and the rear wheel arch. That's what makes the room for the larger tank.

So it's either going to hang out over the axle, or you're going to have to find spce in front of the original shortbed tank for it to fit in.

i would just save some time and get a cheap fuel cell from summit or somelace and run 2 tankss like some older trucks. and have a switch on the dash to switch between tanks.

I'd love to have dual tanks... but with the exhaust down the other side, wehre would I put it?

The spare tire location is the obvious option... but then I'll be whanging the tank off all kinds of stuff off road.

A tank of gas weighs a LOT and while the thought has always intrigued me, I eventually come to the conclusion that it really isn't necessary and I'd just haul around a bunch of dead weight all the time.

May I suggest the alternative I eventually went with. :D I've got 10 extra gallons available and they look cool too.

i would just save some time and get a cheap fuel cell from summit or somelace and run 2 tankss like some older trucks. and have a switch on the dash to switch between tanks.

I'd love to have dual tanks... but with the exhaust down the other side, wehre would I put it?

The spare tire location is the obvious option... but then I'll be whanging the tank off all kinds of stuff off road.

i would mount the fuel cell in the bed in the front and it wouldbe protected. and you have easy access to fill it