1986 full cluster into 1989 Idiot cluster

Aaaaand I have tried that too. The Speedo isn't a direct swap either. If and when you get to removing your old cluster, look at the back of both of them and you will see how much different the mounting screw points are. You’ll need to get a cable for 84-86 as a swap for your cluster. Ill show you the backs of both clusters.

Sure. Make sure its in good shape and can be lubed. While your there you can get the cruise control stuff too. Actually...If you snagged the speed sensor you could just get a new speedo cable that is for cruise control and just use that as the cable just threads on to the speed sensor and since you have the adaptor already.

I know it sounds confusing and it kinda is. Which ever is easiest for ya.

181570214_Capture_2020-02-16-11-30-59.png.7eabc7c7fccc8737d588c456505a7a99.png

That part is a short intermediate cable speed sensor for part of a cruise control setup. It plugs in between your speedometer cable and speedometer for the cruise system. It's not necessary if you do not want or have cruise. It can be used or removed. It's easier to have it though and make install/removal easier since it has the extra then for more access and puts less strain on the cable.

Okay, thanks! Do you know where I can pick up an appropriate cable? The one from the car would be nice but the yard is only open on Saturdays, and I'd like to have this working sooner than that. I won't see my MJ for a month or two after this weekend :sad:

6 minutes ago, CODriver said:

Okay, thanks! Do you know where I can pick up an appropriate cable? The one from the car would be nice but the yard is only open on Saturdays, and I'd like to have this working sooner than that. I won't see my MJ for a month or two after this weekend :sad:

I'm sure they could be purchased new easily enough. You may try Novak-adapt.com or advance adapters. There is probably many sources. I've never had to buy 1. I've always had 1 from another part rig nearby.

15 hours ago, CODriver said:

Not the best photo but I took it apart and cleaned it up. The odometer is exactly 23,000 miles low. If the speedometer cable doesnt work, then I'll just swap in the speedo from my old cluster :holdwrench:20200215_191841.jpg.010ca0e74ddf63cb66fef41ddfc19dfa.jpgnot the mot then

Why does the speedometer read 20 MPH in this photo but it read zero in your first photo?

Answer: Because you pulled the needle off and screwed it up. Why did you pull the needle? YYou DON'T need to pull the needle to "clock" the odometer.