Need Coils (rear)

True, but I need something in the right range before I even look at the rate. I already know a stock TJ is too short. I was hoping people would throw out ideas of coils I could nab from the boneyard to start trying things... I know, I should just calculate my leafs' rate and measure the difference between loaded and unloaded to determine the weight on my rear axle... But yeah. Sounds like a lot of work right now.

I wonder how you figure out when your leaf springs have hit the zero load point anyways? If I jack off the frame they'll unload, but the unsprung weight makes it impossible to tell when... Durr... Haven't a clue right now. Maybe I should scale it again. Or maybe it was 800kg in the rear last time.

I've lost myself :dunce:

800kg rear, 1100kg front... Or 4180lbs total. That was with me in it and gear, a full interior and the old front end and no exo. That's close enough.

So, 1760lbs on the rear axle. 880lbs per coil.

What else do I need to know? My current spring-rate I guess. Blah.

Front JK coils should be long enough, but maybe too stiff. And I think the rears on em are about the same length as our fronts, but no idea on rates.

jk_462H.jpg

Grand Vitara and Sidekick rear coils should be about 13" without weight if memory serves me right of a buddies. Those are soft.

Everything else I can think of is too short.

I have a set of stock TJ rears. They definatly don't work.

I'll pick up some ZJ fronts and TJ fronts within the week... One of them might work.

Jared, measure the JK ones if you have a chance... Free length, coil thickness, number of coils, coil width... I can figure them out with that much.

I have a set of stock TJ rears. They definatly don't work.

I'll pick up some ZJ fronts and TJ fronts within the week... One of them might work.

Jared, measure the JK ones if you have a chance... Free length, coil thickness, number of coils, coil width... I can figure them out with that much.

ok will do if i can still get a hold of them

The TJ coils should be lighterish, sorta. The ZJ coils used to be mine - they're rather heavy.

I was going to run the math on their rate when I got them back. See where they sit. I think the TJs are only 170~, but IDK. The stock XJ fronts would probably have worked great. Too bad I gave away my set of those too.

Too bad I don't have more space for crap. I could horde all my parts forever.

jk 4 door stock coils

rear - 5 full coils, then it has the small coil at the top which would make it six. the spring is 5/8'' thick and the totla length is 13 5/8'' long (this is laying on the ground)

front - 8 coils, 1/2'' thick, and 17 1/2'' long.

:cheers:

According to Superlift's website:

The JK family uses 22 different factory coil springs, each with a slightly different rate, dictated by how the JK is equipped.

They list that to explain why their coils could be +/- 3/8".

Jared, how stiff do those coils feel? I've been curious, since I haven't ridden in a JK yet.

the front coils looked like the rustys lift coils i put on my xj. i didn't really mess with them too much, but they came off a 4 door jk with a rear d44 and 4.10s. its a x model and it has a hitch. and its a soft top only model.

The TJ coils should be lighterish, sorta. The ZJ coils used to be mine - they're rather heavy.

I was going to run the math on their rate when I got them back. See where they sit. I think the TJs are only 170~, but IDK. The stock XJ fronts would probably have worked great. Too bad I gave away my set of those too.

Too bad I don't have more space for crap. I could horde all my parts forever.

Too bad you are so far away, I have 2 sets of stock XJ coils in storage and a set of front ZJ V-8 up country coils too

I can get another set of XJ coils if I have too. I picked up the TJ fronts today. And buddy still had my ZJ fronts lying there - I can take them back if I need them. However, the TJ ones look liek they'll be really close. Dunno. Might have to play around with getting the actual weight on them to see. But I can do the math first.

And I'd make my mounts adjustable, but that always comes out hack unless you have a lathe to cut threads (like the ACOS have). I do have access to a lathe, but I'm not into bothering. I'll just tack everthing on the first time and see.

On another note, my truck sits way higher in the front. I'd better figure out how to link it too.

Apparently the TJ fronts are 100lbs/inch. I think my calculator is flawed.

Wait, re-did them... 115. That's not good either.

Anybody have the measurements for a stock XJ front? Or know? I always thought they were 130ish... But IDK. I can steal some from the boneyard at some point...