No reverse lights 88 mj ba10

So I have found my reverse switch on my 88 mj's ba10 but the problem I noticed is that the plug was plugged in but about 2 feet of wire was draped over the top of the tranny and the other connector was hanging I have looked but can't seem to find where it plugs in can anyone help

on the passenger side of engine, close to the fire wall, is a flat, 4 pin connector.  That harness drops down to the transmission.  On the other end of the harness, two wires come out to an 2 pin connector.  That should plug in to the reverse light switch.  

A Blk/yel wire comes from the fuse panel and feeds power to the switch.  A Brn/Wht wire then feeds power to the reverse lights.

(What happens to the other two wires on the 4 pin connector you are asking?  These would connect to a NSS  gear selector switch on an auto trans.  They're not needed for manuals.)

Thank you I found it I guess when they did the engine rebuild before i bought it they left it topside now I've got voltage to the switch running about 9v DC but still no lights I'm guessing the switch but i can't figure out how to test they send out voltage on it besides making sure the switch is depressed and looking at the lights

Get a test light and a DVOM.

Turn the key on.  Put the trans in reverse.

With DVOM, check the Ohm reading of the switch.  If reading is 0 (zero) the switch is good.  Proceed to the next step.  If switch is bad, replace the switch.

Go to the rear wiring harness.  Unplug the rear light connector.  Using the test light, probe the source side connector to test for power on the BRN/WHT wire.  If you have power back there, look at the light bulbs and sockets.

If there is no power getting to the rear, start following the wires back looking for breaks in the harness.

• 10 months later...
25 minutes ago, Vandenborg1 said:

I f***** up lol I hooked it up and didn't tie it up and wound up against the exhaust..... but it's in peices right now so I'll get to that when she's back together and running

happens to the best of us.  :L: