Bobbed bed with hitch receiver?

I bobbed it cause i kept getting stuck on things from the length like turn arounds and things. i use my truck often and would like to keep the tow ability with it so i was thinking about mounting it to the inside of my frame rails with some plating for reinforcement. Do yall think that would work ok?

Proper design will allow that, yes. :L:   When fabricating your new brackets, I suggest integrating the upper shackle bolt for extra strength. 

In an interesting pepsi twist, our '16 Durango integrates the factory hitch right into the steel bumper structure.  I literally had to discard the old bumper when I installed it. :dunno:

Consider something similar-

Cross bar is 3"x.25 wall tube, everything else is 3/8 plate. 

I did not mount the receiver high for two reasons, I wanted to keep the tag where it belongs, secondly- many hitch designers/companies split the cross bar into two pieces, I don't like that, it weakens the cross bar, IMO. 

But, you certainly can so that you don't lose ground clearance. 

Also, if you add a 2" receiver.......it IS a hitch, it is NOT simply a recovery point........design it to tow, just because you won't doesn't mean someone else won't. 

If designed properly, I see no reason to incorporate the shackle bolt.....in fact, I would not. 

nMGCTv6.jpg

gsoCigP.jpg